This crispy fried tofu is perfectly seasoned with the best crunch that will be great on its own or in so many dishes.
If you want the crispiest, best tasting tofu then you’ve found it. This crispy fried tofu will live up to the hype as long as you follow the instructions.
Let us be honest. Great tasting tofu that mimics chicken needs time and while it’s not a hard process, it does taste some steps to get it there.
However, the end result is this absolutely epic vegan crispy tofu recipe.
You can use this to make nuggets, patties for sandwiches or tender shapes.
Never miss another recipe! Get our recipes straight to your inbox when you sign up for our weekly newsletter today! Our Top 15 posts automatically sent to you! Plus, enjoy behind the scenes, giveaways, and other exclusive content!
Sign up for our newsletter HERE!!
Frequently Asked Questions?
What is the best type of tofu to use?
We prefer extra firm for this recipe and would highly recommend using that.
This recipe will also work if it’s just firm tofu. We do not advise using silken or soft tofu for this recipe.
What can I sub the tofu for?
At this time there are no tofu substitutions for this recipe. We hope that we have another soy free version in the future, but we do not at this moment.
How do I press out tofu?
The easiest way to press out tofu is to use a tofu press. We use this tofu press because it’s easy to use and works great.
However, if you don’t have a tofu press then you could wrap the block of tofu in a kitchen towel, place it on a plate, and then put something heavy on top like a cast iron skillet.
Can I prep this crispy fried tofu ahead of time?
Yes! Once cooked and cooled, you can store it in an air safe container in the fridge for up to 7 days.
Alternatively, you could make it, let it cool completely, and then store in a freezer safe container for up to 3 months.
We find it best when prepping it ahead and not eating right away that you reheat in an air fryer; however, if you do not have an air fryer, then you can heat up in the oven or just a microwave (although doing it this way will not be as crunchy, it’s still good).
Can I make this recipe Top 8 Allergen Free?
Because the base of this dish is tofu, it contains soy.
At this time, we do not have a recommendation to make this soy free.
For the vegan flour, you can replace with cornmeal. You should be able to replace with a gluten free measure for measure flour, but we have not tried that at this time, only the cornmeal we’ve tested.
Besides that as long as you use a safe for you dairy free milk, we prefer oat milk, then you are good to go with top allergens.
Can I air fry these instead of frying?
Yes! Set your air fryer to 375 degrees F. Let cook for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Do not overcrowd your air fryer with the pieces.
Pin this crispy fried tofu for later!
Crispy Fried Tofu
- Deep Fryer or Large heavy bottomed pot
- 1 block extra firm tofu
Seasonings (bowl 1)
Wet batter (bowl 2)
- 1/2 cup dairy free milk (we like oat)
- 1 1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
Breading (Bowl 3)
- high smoke point oil for frying (omit if using air fryer)
- Place tofu, in package, in the freezer and freeze overnight.*This step is crucial for texture, don't skip.
- Defrost by sitting out until thawed or microwaving for 10-15 minutes at a time.
- Press tofu out for 30 mins by using a tofu press.*See post for details if you don't have a press.
- Carefully pat dry any excess moisture with a towel.
- Cut the tofu in half lengthwise, then diagonal to end up with 4 strips, then cut the opposite way to get cubes.
- In 3 separate shallow bowls or dishes, mix together the ingredients for the seasoning, wet batter, and breading. Set up an assembly line.
- Bring a deep fryer or heavy bottom oil with oil to 375˚F (can use a heavy bottom skillet or pot if needed)*See post if you'd prefer to air fryer
- Evenly rub the seasoning mixture all over your tofu pieces.
- Dip each piece into the wet mixture, then the breading, then back into the wet and back into the breading. Coat evenly.
- Add tofu to oil and cook 2-3 mins until golden brown.
- Place on paper towels or drying rack to let cool down. Repeat with all tofu.
Share a photo of our recipe you made! Tag us @makeitdairyfree and use #MakeItDairyFree on Social so we can feature you!