This easy herb crusted tofu chicken fingers recipe comes with its own vegan lemon pepper honey mustard dipping sauce perfect for your next vegan dinner.
If you are looking for a new and interesting vegan dinner idea, then this easy herb crusted tofu chicken fingers recipe is just what you need.
Tofu is so good for a number of reasons. Being that both of us didn’t think we liked tofu before going vegan, we are here to tell you 9/10 times if you don’t like tofu, it’s likely that you just didn’t like how it was cooked.
Thankfully, there are so many ways to season or enhance the flavor of tofu to make it truly something unique.
This crunchy herb crust is perfectly seasoned to bring out so many awesome flavors, with minimal effort on your part. And we think you’ll love it!
Never miss another post! Sign up for our weekly newsletter and get them all delivered easily! Plus, 15 easy recipes delivered immediately!
CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP!
Frequently Asked Questions:
Can I double the recipe to make more herb crusted tofu chicken fingers?
Yes! If you need more than what one block makes, then you can use a second block of tofu or more depending on how many you need to make.
Can I make herb crusted tofu chicken fingers Top 8 Allergen Free?
Unfortunately, since this is tofu, no it can’t be Top 8 free because of the soy; however, you could may is allergen free besides.
Alternatively, you could use the herb mixture to make something else like roasted chickpeas, seitan, and more depending on your allergen(s).
As far as the other ingredients that may contain top allergens there is dairy free milk which you can use any suitable for your allergies.
Also there is breadcrumbs and flour which both contain wheat.
For those you just need to use gluten free breadcrumbs and gluten free flour.
Flour ideas could be a quick measure for measure flour, like King Arthur flour or something else like chickpea flour or almond flour.
WHAT IS THE BEST TYPE OF TOFU TO USE?
We prefer extra firm for this recipe and would highly recommend using that.
This recipe will also work if it’s just firm tofu. We do not advise using silken or soft tofu for this recipe.
WHAT CAN I SUB THE TOFU FOR?
At this time there are no tofu substitutions for this recipe. We hope that we have another soy free version in the future, but we do not at this moment.
HOW DO I PRESS OUT TOFU?
The easiest way to press out tofu is to use a tofu press. We use this tofu press because it’s easy to use and works great.
However, if you don’t have a tofu press then you could wrap the block of tofu in a kitchen towel, place it on a plate, and then put something heavy on top like a cast iron skillet.
CAN I PREP THIS HERB CRUSTED TOFU CHICKEN FINGERS AHEAD OF TIME?
Yes! Once cooked and cooled, you can store it in an air safe container in the fridge for up to 7 days.
Alternatively, you could make it, let it cool completely, and then store in a freezer safe container for up to 3 months.
We find it best when prepping it ahead and not eating right away that you reheat in an air fryer; however, if you do not have an air fryer, then you can heat it back up in the oven.
CAN I AIR FRY THESE INSTEAD OF BAKING?
Yes! Set your air fryer to 375 degrees F. Let cook for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Do not overcrowd your air fryer with the pieces.
CAN I MAKE THESE INTO NUGGETS OR SANDWICHES?
Absolutely! The only change is that when you are cutting the tofu into pieces, you make them larger or smaller depending on what you are making.
For example, slicing the tofu in half lengthwise, then in three strips, then either three or four slices in the opposite direction, yielding 18 to 24 nuggets would be a great size.
What other vegan tofu ideas could I make?
If you like tofu, then we think you will love these other recipes too!
- Copycat Vegan Chick-fil-a Chicken
- Vegan Jerk Tofu Rice Bowls with Vegetables
- Tofu Taco Crumbles
- Easy Vegan Tofu Scramble
- Vegan Crispy Tofu in Garlic Sauce
- Vegan Tofu Breakfast Burritos
Pin these herb crusted vegan tofu chicken fingers for later:
Herb Crusted Tofu Chicken Finges
- Baking Sheet
For the Vegan Chicken Fingers
- 1 block extra firm tofu
- 1 cup dairy free milk (we prefer oat)
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups vegan corn flakes or breadcrumbs, finely crushed (use GF breadcrumbs if needed)
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour (sub for GF flour if needed)
- 1 tbsp dried chives or green onions
- 1 tbsp dried parsley
- 2 tsp dried dill
- 1 tsp garlic powder'
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper (can use less to taste)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- Place tofu, in package, in the freezer and freeze overnight.*This step is crucial for texture, don't skip.
- Defrost by sitting out until thawed or microwaving for 10-15 minutes at a time if it's not in its packaging.
- Press tofu out for 30 mins by using a tofu press.*See post for details if you don't have a press.
- Carefully pat dry any excess moisture with a towel.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Add dairy free milk and apple cider vinegar to a shallow bowl. Let sit for 10 minutes (this makes a vegan buttermilk)
- Cut the tofu in half lengthwise, then into 6 strips. In order to give the triangular shape of traditional "chicken fingers" cut a few diagonal pieces on one side *Note: It's not necessary to cut the diagonal pieces off – if you do toss those pieces in some cornstarch or arrowroot powder and saute, then pour over your favorite sauce.
- Combine the corn flake crumbs or breadcrumbs, flour, and all the seasonings for the vegan chicken fingers to a medium sized bowl.
- Dip tofu in vegan buttermilk, and then dredge through the herb crumb mixture, pressing gently to adhere. Place on the prepared baking sheet. Repeat until all the tofu has been used. *Do not crowd your baking sheet.
- Spray the tofu strips with olive oil spray or you can lightly drizzle olive oil over the tofu on the sheet.*If you are oil free you can skip this, it just makes it even crunchier.
- Transfer to the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes or until crispy and heated through.
- While tofu is baking, make the dipping sauce by adding everything into a small bowl or jar and whisk together
- Serve warm dipped in sauce or on sandwiches, in wraps and more.
Let’s see your creations!
Share to Instagram and tag us @makeitdairyfree so we can see and share it!