This vegan coconut crusted tofu is a great alternative if you were used to eating something similar before going vegan. Easy to make and kid approved!
Before going vegan, if you used to love coconut chicken or shrimp, then you will love this vegan coconut crusted tofu.
This recipe combines all the best parts coconut crusted food to make you not miss a thing.
Plus we are using the ultimate tofu hack to get the texture as close to traditional meats as possible to really make this recipe enjoyable by everyone and not just those who already know they like tofu.
If you are someone who is on the fence about tofu, like we were when we went vegan, then this recipe is definitely one to try so you can see just how great tofu can be. We don’t think this one will disappoint you!
Never miss another post! Sign up for our weekly newsletter and get them all delivered easily! Plus, 15 easy recipes delivered immediately!
Sign Up For My Newsletter Today!
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
CAN I DOUBLE THE RECIPE TO MAKE MORE VEGAN COCONUT CRUSTED TOFU?
Yes! If you need more than what one block makes, then you can use a second block of tofu or more depending on how many you need to make. You will just need to process in batches.
CAN I MAKE VEGAN COCONUT CRUSTED TOFU TOP 8 ALLERGEN FREE?
Unfortunately, since this is tofu and coconut based, no it can’t be Top 8 free; however, you could make this allergen free besides those.
Alternatively, if you are only allergic to soy and not coconut, you could use the coconut crusted mixture to make something else like roasted chickpeas, seitan, and more depending on your allergen(s).
As far as the other ingredients that may contain top allergens there is dairy free milk which you can use any suitable for your allergies.
Also there is breadcrumbs and flour which both contain wheat.
For those you just need to use gluten free breadcrumbs and gluten free flour.
Flour ideas could be a quick measure for measure flour, like King Arthur flour or something else like chickpea flour or almond flour.
WHAT IS THE BEST TYPE OF TOFU TO USE?
We prefer extra firm for this recipe and would highly recommend using that.
This recipe will also work if it’s just firm tofu. We do not advise using silken or soft tofu for this recipe.
HOW DO I PRESS OUT TOFU?
The easiest way to press out tofu is to use a tofu press. We use this tofu press because it’s easy to use and works great.
However, if you don’t have a tofu press then you could wrap the block of tofu in a kitchen towel, place it on a plate, and then put something heavy on top like a cast iron skillet.
CAN I PREP THIS VEGAN COCONUT CRUSTED TOFU AHEAD OF TIME?
Yes! Once cooked and cooled, you can store it in an air safe container in the fridge for up to 7 days.
Alternatively, you could make it, let it cool completely, and then store in a freezer safe container for up to 3 months.
We find it best when prepping it ahead and not eating right away that you reheat in an air fryer; however, if you do not have an air fryer, then you can heat it back up in the oven.
CAN I BAKE THESE INSTEAD OF AIR FRYING?
Yes! Set your oven to 375 degrees F. Let cook for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Do not overcrowd your baking sheet.
CAN I MAKE THESE INTO TENDERS OR SANDWICH PATTIES?
Absolutely! The only change is that when you are cutting the tofu into pieces, you make them larger or smaller depending on what you are making.
For example, slicing the tofu in half lengthwise for 2 patties or into three strips would be great for tender size.
What other vegan tofu ideas could I make?
If you like tofu, then we think you will love these other recipes too!
- Herb Crusted Tofu Chicken Fingers
- Copycat Vegan Chick-fil-a Chicken
- Vegan Jerk Tofu Rice Bowls with Vegetables
- Tofu Taco Crumbles
- Easy Vegan Tofu Scramble
- Vegan Crispy Tofu in Garlic Sauce
- Vegan Tofu Breakfast Burritos
Pin this vegan coconut crusted tofu for later:
Vegan Coconut Crusted Tofu
- Air Fryer
- Place tofu, in package, in the freezer and freeze overnight.*This step is crucial for texture, don't skip.
- Defrost by sitting out until thawed or microwaving for 10-15 minutes at a time if it's not in its packaging.
- Press tofu out for 30 mins by using a tofu press.*See post for details if you don't have a press.
- Carefully pat dry any excess moisture with a towel.
- Cut the tofu in half lengthwise, then into 4 strips, then into 5 rows, for a total of 40 pieces.*Feel free to make bigger or smaller, just try to make all even size.
- Add dairy free milk shallow bowl. Set aside.
- In a second bowl, add the panko breadcrumbs and coconut. Blend together.
- In a third bowl, combine the flour, paprika, garlic power, black pepper and salt well.
- Dip tofu flour mixture, then in vegan milk, and then in coconut mixture, pressing gently to adhere. Repeat until all the tofu has been used. *Do not crowd your baking sheet.
- Spray the tofu strips with olive oil spray or you can lightly drizzle olive oil over the tofu on the sheet. Place in air fryer and cook at 400 degrees F for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Work in batches and do not overcrowd your air fryer. Repeat until all the tofu has been cooked.
- Serve warm with cocktail sauce or other preferred sauce.