If you are looking for the perfect vegan breakfast on the go option, then these vegan tofu breakfast burritos at going to be a hit!
Do you ever forget about meals that you love? No? Just me? I think most of you would probably say yes. Anywho, straight to the point. I often forget about how much we love breakfast burritos, how easy they are to prep, and how great they are for on the go. This vegan tofu breakfast burrito recipe is going to be such a hit for you!
The longest part about making these burritos is honestly the chopping of the vegetables. Since we are cutting potatoes and peppers and onions and a few other things.
You can definitely take shortcuts if you need by either buying pre-cut veg at your local store or pulsing a few times in the food processor if that’s easier for you too.
And don’t worry, we’ll dish all the details about making them allergy friendly and even some different variations below.
Even our kids love these, so you know, totally winning on that note.
Never miss another post! Sign up for our weekly newsletter and get them all delivered easily! Plus, 15 easy recipes delivered immediately!
CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP!
What ingredients do I need for a vegan tofu breakfast burrito recipe?
One of the great things about making a vegan breakfast burritos is that you definitely have a ton of possibilities.
I’m going to explain how we did it, but if you want to add in other ingredients or making some swaps, you totally can.
For this dairy free breakfast burrito recipe, you need:
- Vegan Butter
- Potatoes (I like yukon gold or russet, but red could also work)
- Green, Red, Yellow, and Orange peppers
- we love the color that a variety gives the dish, but there’s no reason you can’t use just one or two colors also
- Maple Syrup
- Garlic Powder
- Italian Seasoning
- Salt and Pepper
- Tofu Scramble: We use 1 block tofu, turmeric, kala namak (black salt), and pepper for this
- You can you any of your favorite tofu scramble recipes too if you have one you already love. Or you just replace with any of your favorite vegan egg substitutes.
- Optional: Cheese
- We don’t show it in the picture because we think it tastes great with or without, but feel free to top with your favorite vegan cheese
- Optional: Vegan breakfast sausage
How do you make vegan breakfast burritos with tofu?
We based the majority of this breakfast burrito based on our vegan breakfast skillet recipe.
One skillet meals are some of the best for easy clean up purposes, but this skillet recipe is absolutely amazing and simple. Still, there are some steps that you really need to follow in order to perfect it.
For starters, you need to try to get all the potatoes to be an equal size of each other (roughly). Peppers and onions also benefit from this. The reason you want all the potatoes to be the same size is because it will ensure even cooking throughout your dish.
Otherwise, you are going to have some potatoes overcooked (mushy or burnt) and some undone (crunchy). You want the perfect balance and to do that you need equal sizes.
After you have your potatoes chopped, you are going to soak them in water. Soaking potatoes releases some of the starch and helps the potatoes not to stick in this sausage and potatoes skillet meal. Soak for 30 minutes then fully pat dry off with a towel. Don’t skip the drying part. It’s crucial.
Melt butter in a skillet and add the potatoes in a single layer. Depending on the size of your skillet you may need to do this in batches. We use a 12″ cast iron skillet to do this all in one skillet.
No matter what, DO NOT overcrowd the potatoes or they will stick. Your heat should be on medium high. The goal is to quickly cook the edges at a high heat to prevent sticking. Cook for 2 minutes, flip, cook another 2 minutes, flip and cook for 1 more minute.
Reduce heat. Add in your peppers and onions. Cook for 4 minutes. Add in all your seasonings (salt, pepper, Italian seasoning and garlic powder) and stir to combine. Cook for 1 more minute.
Slide the mixture to one side of your skillet, add the crumbled tofu to the empty side along with your turmeric, kala namak and pepper on top of the tofu. Scramble together until all the tofu is yellow in color. Let cook for 1 more minute. Combine both sides together.
Finally add in the spinach and mushrooms and cook until mushrooms have softened and spinach is wilted.
Drizzle maple syrup. Top with vegan cheese if desired.
Divide mixture onto burrito size tortilla shells and roll up.
Can I prep this vegan burrito dish ahead of time?
You have a few options. You can make the entire skillet and get store in a container and fill burritos as you need. The mixture not in a burrito shells will last for roughly 7 days in the fridge stored properly.
Or you can put them in the burritos and store them in a container. They will last approximately 3-4 days in the burritos shells.
Lastly, you do have the option to make the skillet, put them in burrito shells, and once completely cooled, place in a container and freeze them.
Can I make this vegan tofu breakfast burrito recipe Top 8 Allergen Friendly?
Yes and No.
Obviously, we can’t make tofu top 8 free as it’s made with soy. However, we go have options.
Since it’s vegan, it’s already dairy and egg free so we don’t have to worry about those. We are worried about gluten and soy here.
For gluten, your options are a gluten free wrap or just eating the skillet with no wrap like we do in our vegan breakfast skillet recipe. It’s still delicious!
For soy, you want to make sure that we are using a soy free butter, like Earth Balance soy free in the red tub (our favorite!). As far as the tofu goes, you can omit entirely and not do a vegan egg scramble OR you can check out one of our other vegan egg substitutes and use a soy free vegan egg scramble.
Pin these Vegan Tofu Breakfast Burritos for later:
Vegan Tofu Breakfast Burrito
- 1/4 cup vegan butter (can sub for coconut oil)
- 4 potatoes (yukon or russet work best)
- 1/2 red pepper
- 1/2 green pepper
- 1/2 yellow pepper
- 1/2 orange pepper
- 1/2 sweet onion
- 1/2 cup baby bella mushrooms
- 1 cup spinach
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 block extra firm tofu, drained and pushed down into crumbles (see post for soy free options)
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 tsp kala namak (black salt)
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/2 lb vegan sausage
- Optional: Vegan Cheese
- 8 burrito size shells
- Cut potatoes to be an equal size of each other. Soak in water for 30 minutes.
- While soaking, cut up the peppers and onions. You can leave large or dice, but try to ensure they are the same same roughly. Also, slice the mushrooms, roughly chop the spinach, crumble the tofu.
- Once the potatoes have soaked for 30 minutes, drain throughly. pat dry with a towel.
- Over medium high heat, melt vegan butter in a skillet.
- Add the potatoes in a single layer. Depending on the size of your skillet you may need to do this in batches. DO NOT overcrowd the potatoes or they will stick. We use a 12" skillet.
- Cook for 2 minutes – DO NOT TOUCH FOR 2 MINUTES! Flip, cook another 2 minutes. Stir again, cook 2 more minutes. (Do this a total of 10 minutes)
- Reduce heat to medium low. Add in peppers and onions. Stir together.
- Add in all your seasonings (salt, pepper, Italian seasoning and garlic powder) and stir to combine
- Slide the mixture to one side of your skillet, add the crumbled tofu to the empty side along with your turmeric, kala namak and pepper on top of the tofu.
- Scramble together until all the tofu is yellow in color. Let cook for 1 more minute.
- Combine both sides together.
- Add in the spinach and mushrooms and cook for 2 minutes.
- Drizzle maple syrup and cook until spinach has wilted.
- Top with vegan cheese if desired.
- Divide mixture evenly across 4 burritos shell. Roll up and serve. *See post if you want to prep ahead for instructions.
Let’s see your creations!
Share to Instagram and tag us @makeitdairyfree so we can see and share it!
This post was originally published on 8/14/2019 and updated to include video on 6/11/2020.