This easy and delicious vegan crispy tofu in garlic sauce will be a new favorite! Easy to make and loaded with flavor.
Tofu is one of the most popular vegan proteins. And for a good reason. It can take on almost any flavor easily and when you learn to properly cook tofu, it’s insanely delicious. This vegan crispy tofu in garlic sauce is one of the best ways!
Chinese garlic sauce is a popular sauce that is loaded with garlic flavor. In fact, it uses a whole bulb of garlic to make this dish. If you love garlic, then you will love this taste.
We first cook the tofu in an air fryer and then finish it off on the stove in that delicious sauce to make a quick and easy dinner.
Never miss another recipe! Get our recipes straight to your inbox when you sign up for our weekly newsletter today! Our Top 15 posts automatically sent to you! Plus, enjoy behind the scenes, giveaways, and other exclusive content!
Sign up for our newsletter HERE!!
Frequently Asked Questions
DO I HAVE TO USE SOY SAUCE?
CAN I MAKE THIS TOP 8 ALLERGY FRIENDLY?
This dish is tofu based, so soy is something that is included as the main component.
However, you could make our chickpea, cashew and broccoli dish in garlic sauce skillet if you are avoiding soy.
Can I prep this dish ahead of time?
This dish is best served immediately to remain crispy. However, you can continue to enjoy it for 2-3 days after making. If you want to make it crispy again, we recommend that you throw it back into the air fryer for a few minutes.
Can I make this dish oil free?
A main part of the flavor in this sauce is the taste from the toasted sesame oil. While we highly recommend it and don’t recommend swapping, if you are adamant on an oil free dish, this you can swap with half the amount of vegetable stock.
Can I marinate the tofu first?
This is a different way to make the dish, but it also works. Make the sauce first, leaving out the cornstarch, and then after draining the water from the tofu, add to the sauce and marinade overnight.
When ready to cook add just the tofu to a skillet with a tablespoon of additional sesame oil. Reserve the sauce.
Pan fried the tofu for about 5-7 minutes, flipping to pan fry all sides. While frying, add the cornstarch for the sauce and whisk it in the the marinade. Add the sauce and let cook for another 3-4 minutes until thickened.
What are other vegan dinner ideas I would like?
If you like the flavors of this dish, then you will also love our chickpea, cashew and broccoli dish in garlic sauce skillet.
Other dishes that you may like are:
- Vegan Kung Pao Cauliflower
- Vegan Walnut Meat Cheese Fries
- Dairy Free Taco Casserole
- Vegan Italian Meatballs
- Dairy Free Alfredo
- Easy Dairy Free Spinach & Walnut Pesto
Pin this vegan crispy tofu in garlic sauce for later:
Crispy Tofu in Garlic Sauce
- 1 package extra firm tofu
- 2 tbsp cornstarch (can sub with arrowroot powder)
For the Garlic Sauce
- cooked rice, quinoa, noodles
- steamed broccoli or sautéed spinach
- sesame seeds, optional
- Press and drain tofu by either wrapping in a towel and placing a heavy bottomed pot on top for 30 minutes or using a tofu press to go faster.
- Start to prepare your rice, quinoa, or noodles if serving with this dish.
- In a small bowl, whisk together 1/4 cup sesame oil, soy sauce, arrowroot powder, and optional garlic chili sauce. *Add in 1/2 tsp for a little heat or 1 tsp for a bit more.
- Once tofu is pressed, slice in half and then into 1/2 inch cubes.
- Add tofu to a bowl and toss in 2 tbsp cornstarch until all the tofu has been coated.
- Add to an air fryer and cook for 5 minutes. Then toss and cook for another 5 minutes or until desired crispiness. (may need another 3-5 minutes). *If you don't have an air fryer, pan fry in sesame oil to get crispy or bake if desired.
- While air frying, make the sauce by combining everything in a small bowl and whisking together.
- Right before tofu is done, add sauce to a skillet over medium heat and let cook until it begins to thicken.
- Add in the crispy tofu and cook for another 2-3 minutes, stirring to coat all the tofu with the sauce.
- Remove from heat and serve over rice or other optional dish.