This vegan sesame tofu is so flavorful, yet still simple to make. A perfect easy, vegan dinner idea.
We used to swear we didn’t like the texture of tofu. However, we realized one day that we just didn’t know how to cook it properly to our preference. This easy vegan sesame tofu will have you fall in love with tofu if you weren’t already before.
This particular dish uses the freezing method so that you have the absolutely best texture. Eat it on its own, put it into a rice bowl, or use it in wraps. The possibilities are endless!
Never miss another post! Sign up for our weekly newsletter and get them all delivered easily! Plus, 15 easy recipes delivered immediately!
CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP!
Frequently Asked Questions
WHAT IS THE BEST TYPE OF TOFU TO USE?
We prefer extra firm for this recipe and would highly recommend using that.
This recipe will also work if it’s just firm tofu. We do not advise using silken or soft tofu for this recipe.
HOW DO I PRESS OUT TOFU?
The easiest way to press out tofu is to use a tofu press. We use this tofu press because it’s easy to use and works great.
However, if you don’t have a tofu press then you could wrap the block of tofu in a kitchen towel, place it on a plate, and then put something heavy on top like a cast iron skillet.
DO I HAVE TO USE SOY SAUCE?
CAN I MAKE THIS TOP 8 ALLERGY FRIENDLY?
This dish is tofu based, so soy is something that is included as the main component.
However, you could make our the sauce and pair it with cauliflower, chickpeas, or broccoli. if you would like for it to be Top 8 Allergen free, if you swap for a no soy soy sauce.
Can I prep this dish ahead of time?
This dish is best served immediately to remain crispy. However, you can continue to enjoy it for 2-3 days after making. If you want to make it crispy again, we recommend that you throw it into an air fryer for a few minutes.
Can I make this dish oil free?
A main part of the flavor in this sauce is the taste from the toasted sesame oil. While we highly recommend it and don’t recommend swapping, if you are adamant on an oil free dish, this you can swap with half the amount of vegetable stock.
CAN I AIR FRY THESE INSTEAD OF PAN FRY?
Yes! Set your air fryer to 375 degrees F. Let cook for 7-10 minutes or until desired crispiness. Do not overcrowd your air fryer with the pieces. Watch carefully as it’s easy to dry out tofu in an air fryer.
CAN I BAKE THESE INSTEAD OF PAN FRY?
Yes! Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Place tofu onto a baking sheet and toss in the sauce. Spread out evenly. Bake for 20-30 minutes, flipping every 7-8 minutes or until all sides are golden brown.
What are other vegan dinner ideas I would like?
If you like the flavors of this dish, then you will also love our chickpea, cashew and broccoli dish in garlic sauce skillet.
Other dishes that you may like are:
- Vegan Kung Pao Cauliflower
- Vegan Walnut Meat Cheese Fries
- Dairy Free Taco Casserole
- Vegan Italian Meatballs
- Dairy Free Alfredo
- Easy Dairy Free Spinach & Walnut Pesto
Pin this vegan garlic soy lime tofu for later!
Vegan Sesame Tofu
- 1 16oz package extra firm tofu
- 1 tbsp ground flax seed
- 5 tbsp water, divided
- 4 tbsp cornstarch, divided
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 2 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1/2 cup low sodium soy sauce, (soy free substitution ideas in the post)
- 1/2 cup vegetable stock
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- 4 tsp sesame oil
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 2 tsp sesame seeds
Serve With (Optional)
- cooked rice, quinoa, noodles
- steamed broccoli or sautéed spinach
- more sesame seeds,
- green onions
- *We recommend freezing your block of tofu completely first, then thawing and proceed with recipe.
- Press and drain tofu by either wrapping in a towel and placing a heavy bottomed pot on top for 30 minutes or using a tofu press to go faster.
- While waiting, add ground flax seed and 3 tbsp of water to a small bowl. Stir together and set aside.
- Once tofu is pressed, slice in half and then into 1/2 inch cubes.
- In a mixing bowl, add flax mixture (flax egg), 2 tbsp water, 3 tbsp cornstarch, salt, pepper and 1 tbsp of olive oil. Stir together. Add tofu cubes, and toss to coat evenly.
- In a large skillet, over medium heat, add 1 tbsp olive oil. Add tofu and cook 2-3 minutes on each sides until golden and slightly brown. *Air fryer and bake methods described in post above.
- While cooking, to a mixing bowl, add soy sauce, vegetable stock, garlic, brown sugar, sesame oil, rice vinegar, 1 tbsp cornstarch, ground ginger, and sesame seeds. Stir together
- Once tofu is done cooking, pour sauce mixture into skillet and stir to coat. Reduce heat and summer until sauce thickens. Remove from here.
- Remove from oven and serve over rice or other optional dish with green onions, broccoli and more sesame seeds.