The flavor inside these Crispy Peanut Butter Tofu Lettuce Wraps is off the charts! You’ll be amazed at how easy it is to make!
Getting the perfect crispy tofu isn’t always easy, but with these crispy peanut butter tofu lettuce wraps you’ll learn how to make the crispiest pan fried tofu every single time.
This is the type of tofu recipe that is perfect year round. You can count on this recipe to be the perfect recipe for your meal rotation or when you are in a cooking rut to get you inspired again..
Paired with lettuce wraps for a fun, vibrant, and low caloric option or feel free to toss over rice, noodles, or in a tortilla wrap.
Never miss another post! Sign up for our weekly newsletter and get them all delivered easily! Plus, 15 easy recipes delivered immediately!
Sign Up For My Newsletter Today!
Why You’ll Love This Dish
- Simple – This recipe doesn’t need a lot of ingredients to make it and most of them you’ll have on hand if you cook often!
- Flavorful – Even though it’s simple, the flavorful results are HUGE!
- Gluten Free – this is an easy recipe to make for our gluten free friends
Gather your ingredients!
- Tofu – We are using super firm tofu in this recipe because it holds up well and doesn’t crumble
- Cornstarch – is used to get the crispy coating on the tofu when shallow frying. You want to make sure to evenly coat and not over coat them as that will leave a floury taste that’s unpleasant
- Peanut Sauce – We are using a combination of ginger, lime, peanut butter, sesame oil, rice vinegar, maple syrup, coconut aminos and sriracha to make this peanut sauce.
See my recipe card below for a complete list of the ingredients with measurements.
Substitutions and Variations:
- Tofu – Firm or Extra Firm tofu that has been pressed out will also work. Alternatively you could try this with Pumfu or chickpea tofu for a soy free option or use something like chickpeas or cauliflower instead.
- Cornstarch – arrowroot powder is a good substitution
- Peanut Sauce – Feel free to use store bought peanut sauce if you’d like this to go faster, just know the flavor will be altered. Alternatively, you could use sunflower seeds or butter to make it nut free.
- Stretch this meal – Feel free to add vegetables like carrots, snap peas, mushrooms or broccoli to this.
Step by Step Instructions for crispy peanut butter tofu lettuce wraps:
Step 1. In a bowl, add all the ingredients for your peanut sauce. Mix them together well until you have a smooth, creamy consistency. Set aside.
Step 2. In a large skillet over medium heat, add oil and then the cubed and cornstarch coated tofu. Make sure not to overcrowd your pan. Cook for 1-2 minutes and then flip and repeat until you tofu is golden brown. Careful not to burn.
Step 3. Add in some of the peanut sauce and stir to coat well. Cook for 2-3 minutes.
Step 4. Add in some green onions and stir together. Remove from heat. Use in lettuce wraps or as desired.
You can sub the peanuts/peanut butter for sunflower seeds and sunbutter but the taste will alter. Alternately, you could use another safe for you sauce instead.
This dish is best served immediately, however, it’s still great just not as crispy on subsequent days. Once made, let cool completely and you can store in an air tight container in the fridge for 3-4 days. To get crispy again, we’d recommend air frying for 3-5 minutes.
Yes, just make sure to cook the tofu in batches to not overcrowd your pan.
No, we don’t recommend freezing this dish.
Other Vegan Tofu Recipes to Consider:
Did you make and love this recipe?
Click the 5 stars in the recipe card above or below in the comment section! This is a great way to support us so we can continue to bring great recipes!
Crispy Peanut Butter Tofu Lettuce Wraps
For the sauce
For the Tofu
- 1 block super firm tofu, cubed (can use firm or extra firm as well)
- 1-2 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoon peanut oil (can sub with another oil)
- ½ cup green onions, divided
- 1 package butter lettuce
- 1 cup red cabbage, chopped
- ½ cup peanuts, chopped
- ⅓ cup carrots, diced
- lime wedges, juiced over wraps
- Whisk all the ingredients for the sauce together in a bowl. Stir until a smooth consistency. Set aside. In a resealable bag, add the cubed tofu and 1 tablespoon cornstarch. Carefully shake until no cornstarch remains loose and tofu is lightly coated. Add addition cornstarch if needed 1 teaspoon at a time but DO NOT over coat the tofu.
- Add oil to a large skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add the tofu (in batches if needed to not overcrowd). Cook 1-2 minutes then flip and repeat until tofu is golden brown. If working in batches, move to a paper towel lined plate and repeat until all your tofu is cooked.
- Add tofu back to skillet with half of the sauce. Stir together and cook until it's been heated through, about 1-3 minutes. Add in half the green onions and stir together. Remove from heat.
- Add tofu to lettuce wraps with remaining green onions and top with add-ons suggested above if desired. Drizzle with more peanut sauce.