Whether you are looking for an elegant salad presentation for guests, or just want to switch up you summer salads, this winter salad with kale and Brussels sprouts will surely wow!
Salads are typically a summer dish; however, this is the BEST winter salad that you are going to make!
This winter salad is made with a base of kale and Brussels sprouts and then topped with all the ingredients that are usually at a great price for fall.
When you pair all of the ingredients together, you have an epic winter salad that you are going to love.
Never miss another post! Sign up for our weekly newsletter and get them all delivered easily! Plus, 15 easy recipes delivered immediately!
Sign Up For My Newsletter Today!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Flavorful – This recipe packs so much flavor in with ingredients that are likely already in your pantry and fridge
- Beautiful– If you are looking for a dish that will really wow your guests, you can’t go wrong with this one
- Versatile – This is definitely one of those forgiving dishes where you can swap a bunch of things and it still works out. It’s perfect as written or the substitutes you may think of for this winer salad
Gather your ingredients!
- Greens – we are using kale and Brussels as the base for this dish. Together they are a really great balance of flavor and texture for this salad
- Vegetables and Fruit- the main ones in the dish are butternut squash, red onions, apples, and pomegranate
- Tofu – we are using tofu not only as another texture, but as our protein also
- Dressing – we are making a homemade dijon vinaigrette that really makes all these dishes sing together
See my recipe card below for a complete list of the ingredients with measurements.
Substitutions and Variations:
- Greens – feel free to use whatever greens you like – spinach, romaine, etc
- Butternut squash- you could use sweet potatoes or regular potatoes in this dish as well or even another squash
- Tofu – You can swap with lentils, soy curls, or another vegan protein of your choosing
- Dressing – feel free to use your favorite store bought dressing if you want to skip this one
Swap the tofu for cooked lentils and yes!
We would really only recommend ONE day ahead of time. Otherwise some of the ingredients start to have a different taste or texture that doesn’t bode well
We do not recommend freezing this recipe.
Other Vegan Salad Dish Recipes to Consider:
Did you make and love this recipe?
Click the 5 stars in the recipe card above or below in the comment section! This is a great way to support us so we can continue to bring great recipes!
The Best Winter Salad with Kale and Brussels Sprouts
For the dressing
For the salad
- 1 half butternut squash, cubed (about 4 cups)
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 3 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon, divided
- 1 ½ teaspoon allspice, divided
- 1 14oz block extra firm tofu, drained, pressed, and cubed
- 2 tablespoon cornstarch (sub with arrowroot powder)
- 3-4 cups kale, chopped
- 8-10 Brussels sprouts, thinly sliced
- 2 apples*, sliced or cubed, rubbed with lemon juice to prevent browning
- 1 cup Pomegranate seeds
- ¼ – ½ cup Pecans, chopped
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C). Add all the dressing ingredients together and whisk together well. Place in the fridge until ready to use.
- Add butternut squash and onions into a large bowl with 2 tablespoon olive oil, toss to combine. Sprinkle with ½ tablespoon cinnamon and ¾ teaspoon allspice and toss to combine again. Spread across a parchment lined baking sheet into an even layer.
- In the same bowl, add the tofu cubes, cornstarch, remaining ½ tablespoon cinnamon and ¾ teaspoon allspice. Toss to combine evenly ensuring all the tofu has cornstarch on them. Place on a separate parchment lined baking sheet into an even layer. Put both trays in the oven and cook for 20-25 minutes or until squash cubes are fork tender. Remove and let cool for 5-10 minutes before adding to the salad.
- In a large bowl, add the chopped kale and 1 tablespoon olive oil. Massage the kale for a few minutes to help the texture. Add the sliced Brussels. When cooled slightly, add the squash, onions, and tofu on top. Then sprinkle with the apples, pomegranate seeds, and pecans. Top with the dressing or serve dressing on the side.