These Vegan Crispy Lemon Rosemary Butter Melting Potatoes are soft and tender inside with a crispy edge on the outside and make a delicious side dish for a weeknight or a holiday meal!
Potatoes are the glue that holds life together. Okay, that’s not really true, but potatoes do make life better. And these Vegan Crispy Lemon Rosemary Butter Melting Potatoes make things really better.
If you love potatoes, you usually don’t care what form they come in. You just want them to be delicious and these thinly sliced potatoes have the perfect crispy and soft balance to make you wonder how you have never tried them before.
We love coming up with new side dishes because it’s a place that we have personally always felt we needed more ideas and these are truly delicious!
They are simple enough to make for a weeknight dinner, but fancy enough to serve at a holiday party as well.
And you need just 9 ingredients!
Never miss another post! Sign up for our weekly newsletter and get them all delivered easily! Plus, 15 easy recipes delivered immediately!
CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP!
Vegan Crispy Lemon Rosemary Butter Melting Potatoes INGREDIENTS:
Below are notes about the ingredients before we get into the full recipe located lower in this post on how to make these vegan melting potatoes:
- Potatoes– we are using Yukon gold for this recipe. When baked that get so soft and tender and the flavor really shines through
- Vegan butter (and oil) – we are using a mixture here for a nice balance of richness and ultimate crispness
- Rosemary– this fresh herb goes so nicely with lemon and garlic.
- Lemon– we are using both the zest and the juice of the lemon for a zing of flavor and to balance everything with some acidity
- Garlic -this classic ingredient really takes the flavor up. We highly recommend using fresh garlic that you slice yourself
SUBSTITUTIONS AND VARIATIONS:
- Potatoes– other potato varieties will work as well like Russets
- Vegan butter (and oil) – while we like the balance of both, you can use all vegan butter or all oil
- Rosemary- you can try switching with other fresh herbs like thyme or sage. While the flavor won’t be as fresh, you can use dried if needed.
- Garlic – we really recommend fresh but if needed you can you use garlic powder
Making any substitutions will alter the taste and texture of the original dish.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Melting potatoes are the simplified version of fondant potatoes.
There is a classic French technique of cooking potatoes called fondant potatoes where you brown thick rounds of potatoes in a skillet with butter, then transfer to the oven to finish.
Melting potatoes does everything in the oven, which saves you time and less work of standing over a skillet searing potatoes in batches. The end result is a tender, melt in your mouth flavorful potato side dish.
The only ingredient in here that is a concern, is the vegan butter. Make sure to use a soy free vegan butter like Earth Balance soy free or Flora. You could also just use all oil.
This dish is really best served immediately, however, leftovers are good for 3-5 days if stored in an air tight container in the fridge.
You can just reheat in the microwave, but it won’t be as crispy.
We would recommend putting pieces in an air fryer for 5-7 minutes at 425 degrees F or until heated through.
You could also do the same temperature in an oven for 7-10 mins.
What other vegan potato recipes could I make?
If you love potatoes, you’ll love these other vegan potatoes recipes as well:
- One Pot 30 Minute Vegan Mashed Potatoes
- Vegan Potato Salad
- Vegan Scalloped Potatoes
- Cheesy Vegan Potato and Onion Puff Pastries
- Vegan Lemon Rosemary Roasted Potatoes
- Vegan Sweet Potato Buttermilk Biscuits
- Chickpea and Tahini Vegan Stuffed Baked Potatoes (photoed above)
- Banana and Blueberry Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- Vegan Tex Mex Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- Crispy Cheesy and Herb Vegan Potato Stacks
Pin these vegan crispy lemon rosemary butter melting potatoes for later!
Let’s see your creations!
Share to Instagram and tag us @makeitdairyfree so we can see and share it!
Vegan Crispy Lemon Rosemary Butter Melting Potatoes
- Place oven rack in upper 1/3 of oven. Preheat oven to 500 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, add sliced potatoes, melted butter, oil, chopped rosemary, salt and pepper. Toss to coat all the potatoes well.
- In a 9×13 metal baking pan, arrange the potatoes in a single layer. Roast, turning once, until browned, about 30 minutes.*DO NOT USE A GLASS DISH! It may shatter.
- Remove dish from oven. Carefully add broth, lemon juice and zest, garlic and 2-3 rosemary sprigs to the pan evenly. Continue roasting until most of the liquid is absorbed and the potatoes are very tender, about 10 to 12 minutes.
- Discard sprigs. Top with additional rosemary as a garnish, if desired.