This copycat chipotle sofritas is so good that you may never need to step foot back into a Chipotle store again! You will absolutely love this recipe and how easy it is to make.
We love Chipotle as much as the next vegan, but sometimes we don’t want to leave the house and want it faster than a delivery driver could get it to us. Today we’ll show you how to make copycat Chipotle sofritas at home!
Plus, we love to be able to control the ingredients, the spice levels, and all of the goodness that comes from cooking your own food. Oh yea, and it’s cheaper too.
It’s a win-win.
Never miss another recipe! Get our recipes straight to your inbox when you sign up for our weekly newsletter today! Our Top 15 posts automatically sent to you! Plus, enjoy behind the scenes, giveaways, and other exclusive content!
Sign up for our newsletter HERE!!
Frequently Asked Questions:
Can I make this a Top 8 Allergen Free copycat Chipotle sofritas?
Sofritas is soy based – made from tofu. However, you could use Pumfu instead in order to make this dish Top 8 allergen free. Besides the soy, there are no other known Top 8 allergens in the ingredients that we included.
Is there something that I could use to replace the tofu?
Whether for allergies or personal preference, we understand that not everyone does tofu (soy) products. While your easiest option would be to swap with a pumpkin or chickpea based tofu, there are still other options. Beyond that you are going to get into a lot of texture differences.
Things like chickpeas, mushrooms, seitan, and lentils would all be things that you could swap with.
Is this copycat Chipotle sofritas oil free?
We do recommend using olive oil for the recipe; however, you could use some more vegetable stock or even water.
Please note that making this swap, will alter the taste of your dish.
How long does this copycat Chipotle sofritas last?
This vegan sofritas recipe will last 3-5 days in the fridge. You can make a half batch if that is better for your needs.
Alternatively, you can freeze copycat Chipotle sofritas once completely cooled. To freeze, store in an air tight container in the freezer for up to 3 months.
How can I use copycat Chipotle sofritas?
There are so many ways to use sofritas. Obviously, the best answer is to make your own copycat Chipotle sofritas bowls.
Here’s some other recipes for you to try it with:
Pin this vegan copycat Chipotle sofritas for later!
Copycat Chipotle Sofritas
- 1 block extra firm tofu, pressed
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium sweet onion, diced (about 3/4 cup)
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo
- 1 tbsp chipotle adobo sauce
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 4 cloves garlic
- Press out the tofu to remove excess water for 30 minutes or overnight. Pat dry. Breaks into pieces, set aside.
- In a stand mixer or blender, combine all ingredients from the adobo peppers until the garlic cloves. Blend until creamy. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium heat and add in the onion and tofu chunks. Spread it into an even layer and let sit, without, stirring, for about 2-3 minutes. Stir and repeat this a few times (cooking for a total of about 8-10 minutes). You want to get the tofu nice and browned but watch that it’s not burning at all. Turn down the heat if it’s starting to burn.
- Add in the sofritas sauce that you made and stir to combine. Continue to cook for about 2 more minutes so that it’s heated through.
Share a photo of our recipe you made! Tag us @makeitdairyfree and use #MakeItDairyFree on Social so we can feature you!