These easy vegan zucchini fritters need just 10 ingredients and under 30 minutes to make. Perfect for lunch, dinner or just a snack! A perfect way to use up extra zucchini.
Are you up to your ears in zucchini and looking for a new recipe? Then these easy vegan zucchini fritters are just what you need!
If you’ve never had a fritter, it is essentially a disc of ingredients, in this case vegetable based, that have been battered or breaded and then fried.
They are really quick to whip together and make a perfect addition to your plate no matter the time of day! Breakfast, lunch, dinner and even snack time.
Because they are round little discs they are also perfect for on the go!
Never miss another recipe! Get our recipes straight to your inbox when you sign up for our weekly newsletter today! Our Top 15 posts automatically sent to you! Plus, enjoy behind the scenes, giveaways, and other exclusive content!
Sign up for our newsletter HERE!!
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I make these vegan zucchini fritters ahead of time?
Yes! These zucchini fritters can be made up to a week ahead of time.
You can either warm them up in a microwave, or if you prefer them to be crispy, you can throw them in an air fryer or toaster oven for 5-10 minutes when ready to eat.
Can you freeze vegan zucchini fritters?
Yes! Make the fritter as directed and then you have two options:
- Cook as directed and then cool completely. Flash freeze on a baking sheet and then move to an air tight freezer bag or container for up to 3 months.
- Don’t cook ahead of time and just shape the fritters and put on a wax paper lined baking sheet and flash freeze. Then move to an air tight freezer bag or container for up to 3 months.
Can you make zucchini fritters Top 8 Allergen Free?
Use gluten free panko bread crumbs and an allergen safe dairy free cheese for you and this recipe will be completely Top 8 Allergen Free.
Can I make this recipe oil free?
Yes! First, replace the 1 tbsp oil in the actual recipe with 1 tbsp of chickpea flour. Allow the mixture to sit together for 10 minutes. Then, shape your fritters.
Bake these in the oven at 350 degrees F for 15-20 minutes, flipping halfway or use an air fryer for 10-15 minutes.
What is the best way to squeeze water from zucchini?
However, you could also use cheesecloth or a kitchen towel. Just place on top and found up the sides and twist and squeeze until no water remains.
Lastly, you could use a sieve and push down on it. This is our least favorite method because it’s much harder to get all the water out than the methods mentioned above, but it will work.
What are my vegan zucchini fritters falling apart when cooking?
This could happen for a few reasons. You may not have squeezed enough water out for starters.
However, most of the time it’s because you are cooking the fritters at too high of a temperature. These should be cooked at medium low heat.
Also, make sure that you have enough oil for the pan you are using. If you are using a large pan than the medium one suggested, then you may need more oil to fry.
What do I serve with vegan zucchini fritters?
You may be wondering what you serve with this, but also when you eat these.
There’s really not a bad time to eat vegan zucchini fritters. We usually have them for lunch or dinner, but there’s no reason you could have at breakfast and they also make a great snack.
We usually keep the sides pretty simple. Some roasted vegetables or rice if we are trying to make a meal out of it.
Here’s some ideas:
- Vegan Garlic Butter Rice with Kale
- The Best Vegan Mac and Cheese
- Lemon Garlic Butter Asparagus
- Vegan Garlic and Turmeric Rice
- or serve with some fries or homemade vegan onion rings
Pin this Vegan Zucchini Fritters recipe for later:
Vegan Zucchini Fritters
- 2 tbsp ground flax seeds
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 cups shredded zucchini, (about 1 medium zucchini – 2 cups measured before squeezing)
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs (use gluten free if needed)
- 1 tbsp oil (olive or grapeseed) – see post if oil free
- 1/4 cup vegan parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup vegan cheddar
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp salt (more to taste)
- 1/2 tsp pepper (more to taste)
- 1/4 cup oil, for frying
- In a small bowl, combine the flax seeds and water together.
- Shred the zucchini.
- Squeeze the shredded zucchini through a nut bag, cheese cloth, kitchen towel or mesh sieve. *Keep squeezing to get as much liquid out as possible.
- In a large bowl add zucchini and remaining ingredients, except the frying oil. Mix together well.
- Preheat a medium sized skillet with oil over medium low heat.*Can do these in an air fryer at 350 degrees F for 10-15 minutes.
- Use a spoon or a scoop to remove some the mixture and shape into a round disc (fritter) with your hands.
- Place them into skillet to cook for about 3 – 5 minutes on each side until golden brown. Do not overcrowd your pan.
- Makes 12.
Share a photo of our recipe you made! Tag us @makeitdairyfree and use #MakeItDairyFree on Social so we can feature you!