Absolutely delicious vegan vanilla birthday cake. Or vegan funfetti cake depending on where you live. Either way it’s a hit!
Depending on where you are from you either call this a vegan vanilla birthday cake or a vegan funfetti cake. Either way it’s simple, delicious, and just what you’ve wanted to have!
Often times vegan don’t think that they can have vegan birthday cakes because of the sprinkles. Most sprinkles contain shellac or confectioner’s glaze which is sourced from animals, therefore they are not vegan.
However, it is becoming more easily available to find them.
We have found store brands at Whole Foods and occasionally Walmart to be free of these ingredients.
Thus, we can make this delicious vegan funfetti cake!
Top it with your favorite frosting option that we listen below!
Never miss another post! Sign up for our weekly newsletter and get them all delivered easily! Plus, 15 easy recipes delivered immediately!
Sign Up For My Newsletter Today!
Frequently Asked Questions:
CAN I MAKE THIS INTO VEGAN VANILLA CUPCAKES?
You can absolutely make this into dairy free vegan vanilla birthday cupcakes.
Since this is making a layered cake and you may not want that many cupcakes, you can reduce this recipe in half or keep it as is. Just pour ¾ of the way full into cupcake tins and then back for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
HOW DO I MAKE THIS VEGAN VANILLA CAKE LOOK EXACTLY LIKE YOURS?
We get it. No one likes “Pinterest fails”. You see something and think, “that’s out of my league, no way I’m trying that.” Take a deep breathe and instead say, “I’m going to following these steps and make the best cake I’ve ever made.”
Step 1: It’s all about positive thinking.
Step 2: You need to follow some really important tips that we’re going to share with you on how to make the best dairy free vanilla cake that actually looks like it came from a bakery. Your guests (and yourself) are going to be blown away.
Here’s our tips for making this cake look exactly like ours in the picture:
- Follow the instructions pretty please. Cake baking is a science, especially when making a dairy free/vegan cake. Measuring exact ingredient amounts are very important. Every step has a purpose to ensure the perfect dairy free vanilla birthday cake.
- We have a thick double layered cake in the photos. That is due to use using these specific 9″ cake pans. There are an inch higher (2.5″ instead of 1.5″) than most 9″ cake pans. If you only have the 1.5″ high 9″ cake pans, then we would suggest making a triple layer cake with 3 cake pans.
- Make sure that you evenly distribute the cake batter into the cake pans. You can use a scale to make sure that they are all within a small range of each other.
- When the cakes are cooked, remove from oven and place on a cooling rack to allow the cakes to cool evenly.
- Let the cakes cool to touch, then remove them carefully to wax paper to cool completely. DO NOT RUSH. Let it cool completely.
- When ready to make the cake – use a cake leveling tool to make sure there’s no uneven tops.
Tips for piping:
- Place a small amount of frosting down first on a rotating cake stand, then your first layer. The frosting acts as a glue so the cake won’t slip.
- Use a piping bag and a large round tip and pipe frosting in a circular motion from the outer edge completely in to the middle.
- Use a cake spreader to gently even out layer of frosting. Place next layer and repeat step 6. Place third layer on top. Step back and see if there is any gaps in between the layers. If there are, place enough frosting in those areas to get frosting to the edge of the pan.
- Use a cake scraper to go around the cake and ensure evenness around the entire cake. This step is really important. Place frosting on the top of the cake and more on sides if needed and frost evenly. Using a spreader on the top and the scraper to even evenness.
- Get creative. If you can’t get as smooth as you want or even as you want – you can also add toppings like crushed nuts or chocolate shavings, or drizzle chocolate syrup along the edge so people focus on that. Plus it looks better either way.
- Gently push sprinkle up and into the sides. Keep trying you will eventually find an easy method for you and they will go on easier.
- *Bonus Tip: If you want to frosting the cake but keep a clean cake stand, cut four 7″ pieces of wax paper and overlap them before placing the first layer on the cake stand. When you are completely done frosting the cake, carefully remove the four pieces of wax paper.
WHAT ARE SOME VEGAN FROSTING IDEAS FOR THIS CAKE?
One great thing about cakes is that you can mix and match frostings! We absolutely love doing this. Some ideas for vegan cake frostings are:
- Vegan Vanilla Frosting
- Vegan Buttercream Frosting
- Vegan Chocolate Frosting
- Vegan Strawberry Buttercream
Leave a comment below and tell us what frosting flavor you want to see next!
Can I make this a top 8 allergen friendly vanilla cake?
There are a few ingredients that we are looking at for Top 8 allergens, but it is possible to make these Top 8 safe.
To start, use a gluten free flour (we like this GF flour). Please note that you should allow the cake to cool and keep at room temperature.
Then, use a safe for you dairy free milk. We like oat, but you could use hemp or flax or pea milk for a top 8 free milk.
And finally, the melted coconut oil can be swapped with another oil like canola or you can use a soy free, dairy free butter like Earth Balance soy free in the red tub.
What other delicious vegan desserts should I try?
Once you have perfected these vegan vanilla cupcakes, you may be looking out for other delicious dairy free cupcakes or cakes. Here are some dairy free dessert recipe ideas.
- Vegan Coconut Cake
- Dye Free Red Velvet Cupcakes
- Vegan Strawberry Cake
- The Best Vegan Chocolate Cake
- Vegan Apple Pie
- Vegan Carrot Cake
- The Best Vegan Chocolate Lava Cakes
- Vegan Lemon Pound Cake
Pin this Vegan Vanilla Birthday Cake recipe for later!
Vegan Vanilla Birthday Cake
- 6 tablespoon dairy free butter, softened
- 2 cups vegan cane sugar
- 3 cups unsweetened dairy free milk, room temp or warm (don't use cold)
- ⅓ cup coconut oil, melted (can sub with another neutral oil)
- 3 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon almond extract (optional)
- 4 cups flour (use GF flour if needed)
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- 4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup vegan sprinkles (we are using the Whole Foods 365brand in photos)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line 9" pans with parchment paper and grease the pans.*We use these 9" pans (see post for details if you don't have these)
- In one bowl, cream together butter and sugar until pale and fluffy (approximately 2-3 minutes). Scrap down the sides and bottom with a spatula.
- Add the dairy free milk, apple cider vinegar, melted coconut oil, and extracts. Beat together. Scrap down the sides.
- In another bowl, sift together the flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda.
- Pour the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients in 3-4 parts combining just until mixed each time. Do not overmix. Fold in sprinkles.
- Pour in each prepared cake pan until approximately ½ way full.
- Bake for 45-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. *If using 3 pans, check for doneness around 33-35 minutes.
- *While cake is baking, choose a frosting to make. Store in fridge until cake is cooled completely. Spread frosting across the layers. *Note: We tripled the frosting to make this cake with a crumb layer and the piping.
originally published on 1/25/2019. Updated on 8/12/19.