These easy dairy free carrot cake cupcakes are the perfect spring dessert recipe. Perfectly soft and full of flavor, everything is made in one bowl and they are also completely vegan carrot cake cupcakes as well.
If you think of desserts around spring time or Easter, then carrot cake is likely a dessert that comes to mind. For many people, carrot cake is one of the first introductions to realizing that you could me mix a cake recipe with a vegetable and actually have a delicious creation come out of that. Today, we’re making the same carrot cake that you fell in love with years ago, but turning it into a dairy free carrot cake cupcakes.
This recipe is also a completely vegan carrot cake cupcakes recipe which means that not only is it dairy free but it is egg free as well. In addition, we’ll share details below on how you can make this Top 8 Free carrot cake cupcakes as well if that is needed for your dietary restrictions!
What ingredients do you need to make dairy free carrot cake cupcakes ?
We love making really simple recipes and while we may have more than 10 ingredients in this one, everything is easily accessible at your local grocery store and you’ll be able to whip up these delicious vegan carrot cake cupcakes in no time.
The ingredients that you need for these dairy free carrot cake cupcakes are:
- baking powder
- baking soda
- coconut oil
- brown sugar
- maple syrup
- pecans or walnuts
These dairy free carrot cake cupcakes will be ready in no time and you will be the star of any spring function that you take them too.
How do you make dairy free carrot cake cupcakes ?
Even though there are slightly more than a dozen ingredients in these vegan carrot cake cupcakes, the recipe comes together really fast and it’s all done in one bowl. If you are like me, you love one bowl recipes because that means less dishes.
The first step is preheating the oven to 350 degrees. Then, add the flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and sugar together in a large bowl. I like to use a whisk to do this.
Next, add in melted coconut oil, maple syrup, vanilla, and shredded carrots. Combine together with a silicone spatula. Add in applesauce and nuts and stir until just combined. Don’t over mix this recipe.
These vegan carrot cake cupcakes will be a thicker batter consistency and not very runny. Place in cupcake wrappers until 3/4 full. Bake for 20-23 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. Let cool and top with frosting of choice.
Can I make these dairy free carrot cake cupcakes Top 8 Allergy Friendly?
We know that sometimes dairy allergies go hand in hand with other allergies. When we are considering Top 8 Allergies for these vegan carrot cake cupcakes, we want to consider the flour, coconut oil, and nuts.
The easiest swap is the nuts. Just completely omit this if you have a nut allergy. They aren’t necessary to the overall recipe. For the coconut oil, you can swap that for another light oil, like grapeseed. Make sure it’s nothing overly strong with taste like olive oil. Lastly, the flour can be replaced with a gluten free cup for cup flour like King Arthur.
What are other dairy free desserts recipes that I can make?
Whether you are having a dessert bar of deliciousness at your next get together, or you just want to have even more amazing dairy free desserts at the ready, we recommend you trying out some of these delicious non-dairy desserts (all are vegan):
- Dairy Free Brownies
- The Best Dairy Free Lemon Pound Cake
- Triple Chocolate Dairy Free Cookies
- Dairy Free Chocolate Cake
- Perfect Dairy Free Apple Pie
- Dairy Free Cinnamon Rolls (could be breakfast or dessert)
Are you following us on social media? Be the first to see what we’re doing and finding, behind the scenes, and other get recipes are resources we’ve finding by following along.
FACEBOOK INSTAGRAM PINTEREST TWITTER YOUTUBE
Dairy Free Carrot Cake Cupcakes
- 2 cups flour (*See Post for GF)
- 1 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted (*See post for allergies)
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups shredded carrot
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts (or pecans) (*Omit for nut allergy)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, add flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and brown sugar and whisk together.
- Add in melted coconut oil, maple syrup, vanilla and carrots. Combine with a silicone spatula.
- Add in unsweetened applesauce and nuts. Mix until just combined. Don’t over mix!
- Place in cupcake wrappers until 3/4 full.
- Bake for 20-23 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Let cool to touch and then use frosting of choice to decorate.
- To make this frosting, add the coconut cream, and shortening to a bowl and beat until creamy. Add in the vanilla extract and beat again. Add powdered sugar 1 cup at a time until mixed. Refrigerate if not using right away. *This frosting is best used the same day. So you can prep the ingredients and make the cupcakes ahead of time, but don’t frosting until close to serving time.
Did you make this recipe? Tag us @makeitdairyfree and use #MakeItDairyFree on Social so we can feature you!