These easy dairy free carrot cake cupcakes are the perfect spring dessert recipe. Perfectly soft and full of flavor, everything is made in one bowl and they are also completely vegan carrot cake cupcakes as well.
If you think of desserts around spring time or Easter, then carrot cake is likely a dessert that comes to mind. For many people, carrot cake is one of the first introductions to realizing that you could me mix a cake recipe with a vegetable and actually have a delicious creation come out of that. Today, we’re making the same carrot cake that you fell in love with years ago, but turning it into a dairy free carrot cake cupcakes.
This recipe is also a completely vegan carrot cake cupcakes recipe which means that not only is it dairy free but it is egg free as well. In addition, we’ll share details below on how you can make this Top 8 Free carrot cake cupcakes as well if that is needed for your dietary restrictions!
What ingredients do you need to make dairy free carrot cake cupcakes ?
We love making really simple recipes and while we may have more than 10 ingredients in this one, everything is easily accessible at your local grocery store and you’ll be able to whip up these delicious vegan carrot cake cupcakes in no time.
The ingredients that you need for these dairy free carrot cake cupcakes are:
- baking powder
- baking soda
- coconut oil
- brown sugar
- maple syrup
- pecans or walnuts
These dairy free carrot cake cupcakes will be ready in no time and you will be the star of any spring function that you take them too.
How do you make dairy free carrot cake cupcakes ?
Even though there are slightly more than a dozen ingredients in these vegan carrot cake cupcakes, the recipe comes together really fast and it’s all done in one bowl. If you are like me, you love one bowl recipes because that means less dishes.
The first step is preheating the oven to 350 degrees. Then, add the flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and sugar together in a large bowl. I like to use a whisk to do this.
Next, add in melted coconut oil, maple syrup, vanilla, and shredded carrots. Combine together with a silicone spatula. Add in applesauce and nuts and stir until just combined. Don’t over mix this recipe.
These vegan carrot cake cupcakes will be a thicker batter consistency and not very runny. Place in cupcake wrappers until ¾ full. Bake for 20-23 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. Let cool and top with frosting of choice.
Can I make these dairy free carrot cake cupcakes Top 8 Allergy Friendly?
We know that sometimes dairy allergies go hand in hand with other allergies. When we are considering Top 8 Allergies for these vegan carrot cake cupcakes, we want to consider the flour, coconut oil, and nuts.
The easiest swap is the nuts. Just completely omit this if you have a nut allergy. They aren’t necessary to the overall recipe. For the coconut oil, you can swap that for another light oil, like grapeseed. Make sure it’s nothing overly strong with taste like olive oil. Lastly, the flour can be replaced with a gluten free cup for cup flour like King Arthur.
What are other dairy free desserts recipes that I can make?
Whether you are having a dessert bar of deliciousness at your next get together, or you just want to have even more amazing dairy free desserts at the ready, we recommend you trying out some of these delicious non-dairy desserts (all are vegan):
- Dairy Free Brownies
- The Best Dairy Free Lemon Pound Cake
- Triple Chocolate Dairy Free Cookies
- Dairy Free Chocolate Cake
- Perfect Dairy Free Apple Pie
- Dairy Free Cinnamon Rolls (could be breakfast or dessert)
Dairy Free Carrot Cake Cupcakes
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- ¾ cup dairy free milk
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup coconut oil, melted (*See post for allergies)
- ½ cup maple syrup
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups shredded carrot
- 3 cups flour (*See Post for GF)
- 4 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ – 1 cup chopped walnuts (or pecans) (*Omit for nut allergy)
Coconut Cream Frosting
- ½ cup coconut cream (chilled and scooped off top)
- ½ cup vegan shortening
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line cupcake pans with liners.
- In a large bowl, add apple cider vinegar and dairy free milk. Let sit for 5 minutes. Add in brown sugar, melted coconut oil, maple syrup, applesauce and vanilla. Beat until combined.
- Add in shredded carrots. Blend together again.
- Add flour, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, baking soda and nutmeg. Beat together just until combined. DO NOT OVERMIX.
- Add nuts, if adding. Fold until just combined.
- Place in cupcake wrappers until ¾ full.
- Bake for 20-23 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- While baking make frosting below or choose another option from the post. If making caramel, make it now also.
- Let cool to touch and then use frosting of choice to decorate.
- To make this frosting, add the coconut cream, and shortening to a bowl and beat until creamy. Add in the vanilla extract and beat again. Add powdered sugar 1 cup at a time until mixed. Refrigerate if not using right away. *This frosting is best used the same day. So you can prep the ingredients and make the cupcakes ahead of time, but don’t frosting until close to serving time.
Let’s see your creations!
Share to Instagram and tag us @makeitdairyfree so we can see and share it!
Pin these dairy free carrot cake cupcakes:
This post was originally published on 3/20/2019 and updated on 3/4/2021.
This was my first time ever making anything vegan. But I have to say they were absolutely delicious!
We’re so happy to hear that you loved the recipe
I’ve tried thgis recipe today. Delicous.
Glad you loved it!
This recipe is probably one of the best recipes I’ve ever made. And theres been A LOT! My family and I were presently surprised at how moist the cupcakes came out.
There were a couple of things I did that weren’t in the notes or recipe.
● Soaked whole carrots in water for 1 hour. Squeezed out excess water from grated carrots.
It is quite labour intensive however the outcome is so worth the effort.
● Made my own icing with icing sugar, vanilla essence and boiling water. Just kept adding icing sugar until preferred consistency.
P.S. This is one of my favourite websites to use when it comes to dairy free recipes, because my mother in severely allergic to dairy.
We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed the recipe!
Coconut milk for frosting? I never used it before.
Ohhhh so good! Let us know if you try it what you think