These easy and delicious vegan ham and cheese sliders made with our vegan Hawaiian rolls are just the meal that you’ve been wanting! Perfect for lunch, dinner, or a special occasion.
Vegan ham and cheese sliders are the perfect little sandwiches to matter the occasion.
They are paired with our vegan Hawaiian rolls, which are soft and buttery sweet rolls that make just the absolute best pairing.
Never miss another recipe! Get our recipes straight to your inbox when you sign up for our weekly newsletter today! Our Top 15 posts automatically sent to you! Plus, enjoy behind the scenes, giveaways, and other exclusive content!
Sign up for our newsletter HERE!!
Can I prep these vegan ham and cheese sliders?
Yes! They will last in an air tight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Can I freeze vegan ham and cheese sliders?
We recommend that you let the rolls cool completely and make the sliders and then before baking the sliders, put in an air tight freezer container or wrap tightly in foil. Foil specifically helps reduce the chance of frost bite.
Use within 3 months by proceeding with the recipe and adding an extra 5 minutes cooking time or until heated throughout. Cover with foil if tops start to brown too quickly.
Can I make vegan Hawaiian rolls Top 8 Allergen Free?
Unfortunately, at the time, we cannot recommend using a gluten free flour with this recipe. Please know that we are working on a gluten free dough, but it’s just not quite there yet. As far as the vegan ham, that also contains wheat.
For the vegan butter, we recommend Earth Balance Soy Free, it comes in a red tub.
For the cheese, choose one that fits your allergens – we have some ideas in our vegan shredded cheese taste test.
Can I reheat these?
Absolutely! Just pop them into the microwave for 15 seconds at a time until they are heated throughout.
If you are using them from frozen, let them sit out overnight, then proceed with above.
Do I have to make the Hawaiian Rolls?
You could totally just make ham and cheese sandwiches on bread or hamburger rolls, Obviously it would be a little different though. Or just make these on vegan dinner rolls.
I’m having a party, how many sliders should I have per person?
It is recommended that you have 2 sliders per person.
Depending on what all you are serving you could reduce that to 1 or you could cut each one in half to make them go further.
What is the best vegan cheese to use?
We are using Field Roast Chao original in the photos.
What’s the best vegan ham?
We are using Yves Veggie Ham in the photos.
Honestly, we don’t have access to a variety of vegan hams to choose from, so this is the one we are easily able to find and try. If you have a brand recommendation we should try to find, let us know in the comments!
Do I have to use vegan ham on these sliders?
Absolutely, not! Get creative and use a variety of other vegan meat options or even make it with some sliced tofu or our vegan bbq seitan chicken.
What vegan sides should I make?
You could eat these completely by themselves or you may want to pair it with something like a simple salad or one of our other sides listed here:
Vegan Ham and Cheese Sliders
For the Hawaiian Rolls
For the Ham and Cheese Sliders
- 8 slices vegan cheese, room temperature (we use Chao, see post for more ideas)
- 32 slices vegan deli ham
- 1/4 cup vegan butter, melted
- 3/4 tsp spicy brown mustard (or dijon)
- 3/4 tsp vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 3/4 tsp dehydrated minced onion (can sub onion powder)
For the Hawaiian Rolls
- Combine the pineapple juice and vanilla Set aside.
- In a stand mixer, whisk together 3 1/2 cups flour, potato starch, yeast, brown sugar and salt.
- Add in the pineapple juice mixture.
- Let stand mixer go until dough has come together and easily coming off sides. Will be a little sticky.
- Place dough on a lightly floured surface and sprinkle with some flour on top (enough for it to not stick to your hands). Form dough into a ball.
- Once ball is formed, grease the same bowl mixed in and place the dough ball back into the bowl. *If you are oil free, then just make sure sides of bowl are floured, or use a silicone bowl to easily get it out
- Cover with a towel or plastic wrap and let sit for 60-90 minutes in a warm, draft free place until doubled.
- Once doubled, punch down dough and then pull off pieces into 16 even sizes. (We prefer to weigh the whole ball and then divide by 16 to ensure as even as possible).
- With each piece, fold sides under and roll into balls.
- Place each ball, seam side down, into a greased or parchment lined 9×13 baking pan.
- Cover pan and let rise for another 30 minutes. *After this rise, you want the dough balls to be touching each other. If they are not touching, give them a little bit longer.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees while rising this second time.
- Using 1/3 cup of melted butter, brush each roll liberally.
- Put into oven and bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from oven.
For the Ham and Cheese Sliders
- Slice the sliders in half.
- Quarter each slice of cheese.
- Layer the sliders with one quarter cheese, 2 slices of vegan ham, another quarter of cheese.
- Put the tops back on.
- Repeat until all sliders are made.
- Whisk together the melted butter, mustard, worcestershire sauce, and minced onion.
- Brush the sauce evenly across all sliders until no sauce remains
- Bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes or until top are golden brown.
Share a photo of our recipe you made! Tag us @makeitdairyfree and use #MakeItDairyFree on Social so we can feature you!