These vegan cinnamon knots with crunchy brown sugar topping are easy to make and only need 9 ingredients, but will wow anyone!
Sometimes you want to wow someone with food, but you also want it to be easy for you! Think things like bundt cakes with their pretty designs. These vegan cinnamon knots with crunchy brown sugar topping are just the thing you are looking for if serving breakfast or brunch.
While these look super fancy or hard to make, the truth is that they are fairly easy and fool proof.
While they would be great for a breakfast or brunch, they could totally double as a dessert too!
Often cinnamon rolls are served for special occasions, like holiday morning breakfasts or brunches. Especially if someone in your family made them homemade. It was usually a special treat.
However, if you are really looking to wow, then these are a must!
Never miss another post! Sign up for our weekly newsletter and get them all delivered easily! Plus, 15 easy recipes delivered immediately!
CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP!
Frequently Asked Questions
CAN I PREP THESE VEGAN CINNAMON ROLLS KNOTS AHEAD?
Yes! You sure can! There are two options.
- Once you make the dough and cover it to rise, you can place the bowl in the fridge up to 2 days before you plan to use it.
- You can make the entire recipe and then store your cinnamon knots in an air tight container in the fridge for 5 days.
ARE THESE VEGAN CINNAMON KNOTS TOP 8 ALLERGEN FREE?
There’s a few ingredients in here that we need to look at.
First is the dough that contains wheat. We do have gluten free vegan cinnamon rolls; however, because gluten free dough is completely different than normal dough, we wouldn’t recommend that dough to make these.
When making something gluten free the dough doesn’t bounce back it just smushes; therefore, when trying to twist the knots, it would just be a big mess. Stick to just the cinnamon rolls!
Otherwise, as long as you use a safe dairy free milk, (like we said Oat is our favorite) and butter (we like soy free Earth Balance) then you will be all set for this to be free of seven of the top eight allergens.
What other vegan cinnamon roll type of breakfasts can I make?
You sure can!
If you are looking for other cinnamon roll ideas, we have over 2 dozens more that are amazing.
- classic vegan cinnamon rolls
- vegan pumpkin cinnamon rolls
- vegan chocolate cinnamon rolls
- See all our sweet and savory roll ideas.
Pin these vegan vegan cinnamon knots with crunchy brown sugar topping for later:
Vegan Cinnamon Knots with Crunchy Brown Sugar Topping
For the Dough
For the Filling
- 1/4 cup vegan butter, softened
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 3 tbsp cinnamon
For the outside crunchy topping
- 2 tbsp vegan butter, melted
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
For the dough
- In a large bowl or a stand mixer bowl, combine 3 cups flour, brown sugar, yeast, and salt. Whisk to combine.
- Turn stand mixer onto low and add in the dairy free milk, vanilla and vegan butter.*If not using stand mixer, use a spatula to combine.
- Let go for 5-7 minutes.
- Once ball is formed, grease the same bowl mixed in and place the dough ball back into the bowl.
- Cover with a towel or plastic wrap and let sit for 60-90 minutes in a warm, draft free place until doubled.
- Once doubled in size, pull out the dough and lay it out on a lightly floured surface.
- Using a rolling pin, roll dough into an approximately 17×25″ rectangle that is 1/4″ thick.
- Preheat to 375 degrees F.
- For the filling – Spread the butter carefully across the dough.
- In a bowl, combine the sugar and cinnamon well and then sprinkle the mixture evenly over the butter.
- Carefully fold dough in half along the longest side. Cut into 10-12 even sized pieces.
- Take a strip and twist it and few times then tie into a knot and tuck the end to the bottom of the knot. Place on a parchment lined baking sheet. Repeat with remaining strips.
- In a bowl, mix the butter, sugar, and cinnamon for the crunchy topping together.
- Sprinkle about a teaspoon of the crunchy topping mixture on top of each knot, gently press into the dough.
- Bake for 20-25 mins. Check halfway through and you spoon any fallen topping mixture back on to the top. Then finish baking.
For the Frosting
- Whisk together powdered sugar, milk and vanilla until a smooth glaze forms.
- Add additional 1-2 tbsp of milk if desired for a thinner consistency.
- Remove rolls from oven and let cool for 10 minutes before topping with frosting.
- Best served warm.
Let’s see your creations!
Share to Instagram and tag us @makeitdairyfree so we can see and share it!