We are dishing up all our tricks in order to make the best vegan omelet. Tender, fluffy and full of flavor! You’ll love making these again and again!
Before being vegan, we loved to eat omelets. Now, we weren’t great at making them, but that didn’t stop us from trying again and again. Now though, we have perfected making the easiest and best vegan omelet recipe and we’re dishing up all our tips today.
Even being vegan, omelets can be tricky and no one wants to go through all the waiting of making an omelet, only for it to completely break apart.
We are using bottled vegan egg product (specifically Just Egg) for this recipe. It’s not only the easiest way to make an omelet, but the price has been consistently dropping and it’s more cost efficient than ever.
Omelets are a great way to use up leftover odds and ends of vegetables hanging out in your fridge too!
If you loved omelets before, we hope you have success with these tips as well!
Also – omelet vs omelette …which is right to you? Tell us in the comments!
Never miss another post! Sign up for our weekly newsletter and get them all delivered easily! Plus, 15 easy recipes delivered immediately!
CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP!
THE BEST VEGAN OMELET INGREDIENTS:
Below are notes about the ingredients before we get into the full recipe located lower in this post on how to make this vegan omelet ingredients:
- Just Egg – We are using bottled Just Egg product for this recipe. There are other vegan bottled egg brands, but we have not tested making omelets with those.
- Veggies of Choice – you can add whatever veggies you choose. For the photos, we did onions and bell peppers
- Vegan Cheese – we highly recommend using your favorite vegan cheese brand. If you aren’t sure which one, you can check out our vegan shredded cheese taste test to get our thoughts. We usually go with cheddar, but feel free to use whatever you have on hand or get fancy with some vegan gouda or a smoke cheese for even more flavor
- Spices – we always add spices to our dish, but the most important spice for your vegan omelet is going to be Black Salt (Kala Namak). This will give you the closest egg flavor while still staying vegan
How do I make the best vegan omelet?
Making omelets can definitely be daunting! Here’s some of our best tips:
- Use a non-stick skillet. This is the easiest one to ensure it doesn’t stick.
- If you don’t have a non-stick skillet and only have something like stainless steel, you need to make sure you have it as low as you can go liberally grease the pan with cooking spray.
- We prefer cooking spray over cooking oil. We find that the oil even when you tilt the pan to distribute doesn’t do as great as just spray the pan with oil.
- Do not rush. I repeat, DO NOT RUSH! I know it’s tempting to turn up the heat to make it go faster, but I promise you that you aren’t going to do yourself any favors and only end up with sadness as it sticks or doesn’t cook properly
- Don’t forget the Black Salt (Kala Namak). If you want the closest possible taste to traditional eggs, you won’t want to forget this. The sulfer inside the salt makes it taste just like it. But do make sure this is added at the end once you are done cooking. If you add it while cooking, the flavor cooks out.
- Do not use a large pan than 10″. Unless you are making the entire bottle in one go, don’t use a bigger pan. For us personally as a family, we buy two bottles of Just Egg, we use a little more than half the bottle in a 10″ skillet and the remaining in an 8″ skillet. The smaller omelet is for one of our kids and the larger one for the adult.
- For a fluffier omelet: JUST brand themselves recommends that you add 2 tsps of flour (gluten free if you need) and 1/8 tsp baking powder to a 1/2 cup of the liquid product
Frequently Asked Questions:
Just Egg does contain soy, so this cannot be soy free. For the vegan cheese, it’s usually easy to find it free of everything except coconut. Reference our vegan cheese taste test to see allergens in each.
While we prefer to eat them immediately, technically they could be stored once cooled in the fridge and then reheated up to 2 days later.
You can make 2 omelets with the Just Egg product.
Best omelet add-ins :
The possibilities are endless, but here’s some ideas for what to add into your vegan omelet:
- bell peppers
- onions (sweet or yellow) or even try caramelized onions
- spinach, kale or arugula
- sun dried tomatoes
- vegan bacon or sausage
- black beans and corn
- pre-made roasted potatoes
- artichoke hearts
And vegan cheese of course!
What to top omelets with:
- green onions, cilantro, chives or parsley
- cherry tomatoes
- salsa or hot sauce
What other vegan breakfast ideas could I make?
There are literally a ton of different vegan breakfasts that you could create; however, we are going to pull some of our favorites that we think you should also try!
- Vegan Tofu Scramble
- The most amazing Vegan Chocolate Cinnamon Rolls
- Glazed Vegan Donuts
- Vegan Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal
- Delicious Vegan Banana Bread
- Vegan French Toast
- Vegan Lemon Blueberry Pancakes
We have more than 60 vegan breakfast ideas that aren’t smoothies so make sure you check them all out.
Pin the best vegan omelet for later!
Let’s see your creations!
Share to Instagram and tag us @makeitdairyfree so we can see and share it!
The Best Vegan Omelet
- Lightly spray a 10" non-stick skillet and place on medium-low heat (do not over heat pan).*If you don't have a non-stick skillet, liberally coat with spray.
- Pour half the bottle of Just egg into the middle of the pan and let it naturally spread out. Let cook on medium low until the edges have started to solidify. DO NOT RUSH.
- While waiting, add the garlic powder, onion powder, paprika and pepper to a small bowl. Stir to combine.
- Sprinkle half the seasoning across all the omelet. Add half the onions and pepper to one-half of the omelet. Add 1/2 the cheese across the whole omelet. Allow it to continue to cook until the entire surface has solidified.
- Quickly, but carefully flip half half over to the other half. Let cook for another 1-2 minutes.
- Remove from heat, plate and top with 1/2 the black salt.
- Repeat with remaining bottle to make a second omelet.
- Optional: Garnish with chopped green onions and fresh cherry tomatoes halved.