This easy vegan tuna melt is the perfect warm sandwich. will blow your mind! Easy to meal prep and perfect for on the go! Carefully selected ingredients give it a seafood taste while being meatless. Can be Top 8 Allergy Free.
When made correctly, this vegan tuna melt will blow you away. It’s handcrafted to perfection to be the best healthy vegan tuna salad sandwich out there.
We do use just over a dozen ingredients to make this recipe, but it really is to die for. Plus, it’s easy for a meal prep idea for lunches for the week. The best is that it’s actually better if you let it merry together the flavors for a day or two.
It can even (VERY EASILY) be Top 8 Allergy Free. Perfect for lunch or dinner.
Never miss another recipe! Get our recipes straight to your inbox when you sign up for our weekly newsletter today! Our Top 15 posts automatically sent to you! Plus, enjoy behind the scenes, giveaways, and other exclusive content!
Sign up for our newsletter HERE!!
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I meal prep this chickpea tuna salad ahead of time?
Yes! This vegan tuna melt sandwich recipe is actually better prepared a day in advanced at least. Well, the vegan tuna salad portion.
It will also keep for at least 5 days in the fridge (if you can hold out on eating it that long!)
It’s best to prep it ahead and then make the sandwich when ready to eat so it stays crunchy.
Can I make this Top 8 Allergen friendly?
This recipe is allergen friendly and can be made Top 8 Free. Because our recipes are written as vegan, they are already egg and dairy free.
As check that the vegan cheese you are using is free form any top 8 allergen.
Lastly, for the bread, you could use a soy free and gluten free bread and bread that is safe for you.
What is nori and where do I find it?
Nori is a seaweed that has been dried out. You may recognize it most from being in large sheets used to roll up sushi. Most stores (including Wal-mart and Target) also sell nori sheets in snack size packages in the section that has Asian foods. This part of the recipe is what really gives it a fishy/ocean flavor that mimics the taste you’d have from tuna. It’s incredibly healthy for you.
We use a spice grinder to grind up the nori sheets, but you can also purchase nori flakes already ground up. Find flakes at your local health store or buy them from Amazon. For reference we paid about $4.75 at our local health store for a 1.5oz container. It lasts a long time.
WHAT ARE SIDES THAT GO WITH THIS VEGAN TUNA SALAD?
There are endless possibilities to serve with this vegan sandwich recipe. We often love to just serve it with potato chips, like these crunchy kale chips, or a light salad. Even some raw veggies would be perfect with our dairy free ranch dressing.
Other ideas are:
- Vegan Potato Salad
- Cucumber and Tomato Salad
- Italian Vegan Pasta Salad
- Spicy Corn on the Cob
- Cucumber Salad
- Tomato Quinoa Salad
What are other vegan sandwiches to try?
You must also try our vegan chicken salad! If you are in the mood for breakfast – this bacon, egg, and cheese biscuit is perfect (yes, completely vegan!). The ultimate summer grilling recipe has to be our Classic Vegan Black Bean Burger (It’s the BEST!) Or, try this Vegan Masala Sandwich.
Pin this vegan tuna melt for later:
Are you following us on social media? Be the first to see what we’re doing and finding, behind the scenes, and other get recipes are resources we’ve finding by following along.
FACEBOOK INSTAGRAM PINTEREST TWITTER YOUTUBE
Vegan Tuna Melt
- 1 can chickpeas
- 1 can hearts of palm
- 1/2 cup celery, minced
- 1 tsp capers, minced
- 1/2 red onion, minced
- 2 tsp ground nori or nori flakes (can sub for dulse flakes)
- 1 juice from whole lemon
- 1/4 cup mayo
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp old bay seasoning, more for top
- 1/2 cup vegan butter, may not use all of it
- 8 slices vegan cheese
- 8 slices tomatoes
- 8 slices vegan bread
- Chop vegetables – onion, celery and capers as directed.
- Grind up a small sheet of nori (or omit this step if using nori flakes).
- Mash your chickpeas with the back of a fork. This takes between 5-10 minutes to do well.
- Chop small the hearts of palm or you can separate using two forks (similar to pulled meat or jackfruit).
- Combine all the ingredients into a bowl and stir together really well.
- Can use immediately or best to let set in the fridge for at least an hour, and even better if you make this a day or two ahead of time and really let it marinade in all the flavors.
- Liberally butter 2 sides of bread.
- Place a heaping 1/2 to 3/4 cup of the "tuna" mixture over one piece of bread on the non-buttered side.
- Layer with 2 slices of tomatoes and 2 slices of vegan cheese. Sprinkle a tad more old bay on top of cheese.
- Place remaining piece of bread on, butter side up.
- Option 1: Place in the oven at 400 degrees F for 8-10 minutes. Option 2: In a skillet, over medium heat cook for 3-5 minutes or until golden brown, flip and repeat. Option 3: Place in an air fryer at 375 degrees for 5-7 minutes Option 4: Don't butter at all. Place bread in toaster and toast, then add the toppings and eat like that
Share a photo of our recipe you made! Tag us @makeitdairyfree and use #MakeItDairyFree on Social so we can feature you!