This super easy vegan egg salad is perfect for meal prepping ahead and only needs 10 ingredients. Great for those summer days when you don’t want to cook!
For many, egg salad is a summer staple. It’s only one those things that can be easy to prep ahead and last all week without having to cook anything so those hot summer days you already have food ready to go. This easy vegan egg salad recipe could fool anyone!
Seriously, the first time that we tried it, the taste, texture, and mouthfeel of this vegan egg salad recipe is amazing.
Plus it’s versatile. You can make it into a sandwich, eat it with crackers, put it over a bed of lettuce or just eat it with a fork. We even think it gets better if you leave it sitting for a day or two to really let those flavors soak in.
Never miss another post! Sign up for our weekly newsletter and get them all delivered easily! Plus, 15 easy recipes delivered immediately!
CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP!
WHAT INGREDIENTS DO YOU NEED FOR VEGAN EGG SALAD?
Below are notes about the ingredients before we get into the full recipe located lower in this post on how to make the best vegan egg salad:
- Tofu – Soft tofu gives the absolutely perfect texture to traditional egg salad. You could fool people into thinking this was made from eggs.
- Vegan Mayo -A traditional ingredient in egg salad. You really want to make sure that you are using a vegan mayo that tastes good. Check out our vegan mayo taste test if you need suggestions.
- Yellow Mustard – Another traditional ingredient in egg salad.
- Lemon Juice – Adding in a little bit of acid helps to enhance the flavor and bring out the sharpness of each ingredient.
- Black Salt – Black Salt is also known as kala namak. It’s a South Asian spice. It is a necessity in this recipe to give that egg like sulfur taste. You do not want to skip adding this spice if you want it to taste as close as possible to egg salad.
- Turmeric – Helps us get that yellow color that traditional egg salads have. Plus it’s loaded with health benefits!
Substitutions and Variations:
- Tofu – We have not tried but you could try using Pumfu or Chickpea Tofu instead of soy-based tofu.
- Vegan Mayo – This would definitely change the taste and color, but some people replace mayo with very well mashed avocado.
- Mustard – While yellow mustard is a traditional ingredients, you could give it a different taste by swapping with some dijon.
- Turmeric – While this helps get the yellow color, you can omit it entirely. It doesn’t affect the taste.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS FOR VEGAN EGG SALAD:
Can I make this Top 8 Allergen Free?
Tofu is the base of this recipe. Also some vegan mayo recipes have soy.
We have not tried but you could try using Pumfu or Chickpea Tofu instead of soy-based tofu.
Check out our vegan mayo taste test if you need suggestions on soy free versions.
Other than that, we just recommending making sure to use gluten free bread or crackers if you are eating it on something like that.
What is black salt and can I omit it?
DO NOT OMIT THIS. Hopefully that is clear enough!
Kala Namak, also known as black salt powder, is found in South Asia. It is mostly sodium chloride but has sulfur content which lends to a smell and taste that is similar to what most people think eggs smell like.
You just need a sprinkle, so a small amount would last you a long time. You can purchase Kala Namak on Amazon.
CAN I PREP EGG FREE EGG SALAD AHEAD OF TIME?
Yes! Once made, it can be stored in an air tight container in the fridge for up to 7 days. Just warm up as needed.
CAN I DOUBLE THE RECIPE?
Absolutely. If you like to prep in advance and know that you will need more than 1 recipe for the week or you just have a big family, you can certainly just double or even triple the recipe.
WHAT IS THE BEST TYPE OF TOFU TO USE?
We prefer soft tofu for this recipe and would highly recommend using that. However, it’s also harder to find.
This recipe will also work if it’s just firm tofu.
We do not advise using silken or extra firm tofu for this recipe.
What’s the best vegan mayo to use?
We really like Target’s Good and Gather vegan mayo as well as Just vegan mayo. Check out our vegan mayo taste test if you need suggestions on ones that are available to you.
HOW DO I PRESS OUT TOFU?
The easiest way to press out tofu is to use a tofu press. We use this tofu press because it’s easy to use and works great.
However, if you don’t have a tofu press then you could wrap the block of tofu in a kitchen towel, place it on a plate, and then put something heavy on top like a cast iron skillet.
What other no cook vegan recipes could I make?
We also recommend that you try out our:
Need more ideas for easy meals? Check out our 45 vegan dinners under 30 minutes!
Pin this vegan egg salad for later!
Easy Vegan Egg Salad
- Use a tofu press to press out tofu for 30 minutes.
- Remove tofu and pat dry. Put block onto a plate and mash into very fine crumbles by pressing down with the back of a fork.
- Place into a bowl or container with remaining ingredients. Stir together very well until tofu has turned a yellow hue.
- Serve on sandwiches, with crackers, over a bed of lettuce or by itself. Store leftovers in an air tight container for 3-5 days in the fridge.
Let’s see your creations!
Share to Instagram and tag us @makeitdairyfree so we can see and share it!