These crispy, vegan, spicy coconut chickpeas are perfect for a quick meal over rice or quinoa, in soup, or just as a snack on their own!
Ever sat and thought to yourself, “why in the world do I have to think of dinner every single night?” It can be so exhausting. Pairing these spicy coconut chickpeas with our vegan garlic turmeric rice helps make meal times easier.
These spicy coconut chickpeas can serve double duty though.
They make for a great snack on the go, they would be perfect in a salad, throw in a rice bowl, or even on top of a pizza.
They come together so fast and no matter which way you plan to make them, they are sure to be a hit.
Never miss another post! Sign up for our weekly newsletter and get them all delivered easily! Plus, 15 easy recipes delivered immediately!
CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP!
What are the ingredients I need for vegan spicy coconut chickpeas?
These vegan spicy coconut chickpeas need just 10 ingredients, many of which you likely already have on hand!
Full amounts listed in the printable recipe card below.
The ingredients that you need are:
- sesame oil (sub for olive oil or vegetable stock)
- sweet onion
- ground ginger
- red pepper flakes
- smoked paprika
- unsweetened coconut flakes
- coconut sugar (can sub with brown sugar)
In the photos, we have paired the spicy coconut chickpeas with our vegan Instant Pot garlic turmeric rice.
How do you make vegan spicy coconut chickpeas?
We started this recipe by making our vegan Instant Pot garlic turmeric rice. You can click the link to get those instructions if you are also planning to pair them together.
For the vegan spicy coconut chickpeas, you are going to start out with chopping your onions and garlic and drying off your chickpeas well. You want as little liquid on them as possible.
Add some sesame oil over medium heat to a large skillet and add in your finely chopped onions. Let it cook for about 3 minutes until they begin to soften.
Then, add in your garlic for a minute. Next, add in the ginger, red pepper flakes, smoked paprika, and salt and stir.
Add chickpeas and stir well. Spread out the mixture so the chickpeas aren’t overlapping and can really get a nice toasty texture to them.
Stir occasionally, spreading out each time, for another 5-7 minutes until toasty.
Add in the coconut flakes and coconut sugar, stirring together one more time. Let cook for another 2-3 minutes and remove from heat.
Can I double the chickpea recipe?
Yes! This recipe makes just enough for a family of four normal serving size. If your family is larger or likes to eat large portions, we recommend doubling the recipe.
Do I have to use turmeric rice as a base for the spicy coconut chickpeas?
No! Not at all.
These vegan spicy coconut chickpeas are perfectly delicious all on their own as a snack.
You could serve over regular rice, baked potato, on a pizza, in a salad and so much more.
Can this recipe be Top 8 Allergen Free?
As this recipe, it is free of all allergens except the coconut.
Since coconut is in the title, we cannot recommend omitting it; however you technically could and just have spicy chickpeas.
Can I prep this meal ahead?
Yes! This is a great vegan meal prep idea! The recipe, once cooked and cooled, and be stored in air tight containers for up to 7 days.
What are other vegan dinner ideas?
Here are some other vegan dinner ideas that we have that we think you may enjoy:
- Vegan Falafel Bowls
- Vegan Lemon Garlic Butter Pasta with Tomatoes, Asparagus and Mushrooms
- Chickpea Cashew & Broccoli in Garlic Sauce Skillet (pictured above)
- Vegan Taco Casserole
- Vegan Pizza Pasta Casserole
- Dairy Free Cheese Pizza
- Vegan Italian Meatballs
- Easy Dairy Free Spinach & Walnut Pesto
Pin this vegan spicy coconut chickpeas for later:
Spicy Coconut Chickpeas
- 2 tbsp sesame oil (sub for olive oil or vegetable stock if oil free)
- 1 can chickpeas, rinsed and dried thoroughly
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 sweet onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes (less if you don't want spicy)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1-2 tbsp coconut sugar (can sub for brown sugar)
- Instant Pot Garlic Turmeric Rice Recipe
- If making, start the vegan Instant Pot garlic turmeric rice.
- Chop onions and garlic and dry off chickpeas. *You want as little liquid on them as possible.
- Add sesame oil over medium heat to a large skillet.
- Once hot, add onions. Let cook for about 3 minutes until they begin to soften.
- Add in garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add in the ginger, red pepper flakes, smoked paprika, and salt and stir.
- Add in the chickpeas and stir everything together well. Spread out the mixture so the chickpeas aren't overlapping and can really get a nice toasty texture to them. Stir occasionally, spreading out each time, for another 5-7 minutes until toasty.
- Add in the coconut flakes and coconut sugar, stirring together one more time. Let cook for another 2-3 minutes and remove from heat.
Let’s see your creations!
Share to Instagram and tag us @makeitdairyfree so we can see and share it!