This easy vegan sausage and peppers sandwich is loaded with flavor and perfect for cookouts this summer! You’ll absolutely love this one!
These easy vegan sausage and peppers sandwiches are literally one of the best summer meals that you can make. We will show you two ways to make this. One is super quick and the other while not long either, does require a few more steps.
These summer vegan grilled sandwiches are perfect for cookouts, picnics, easy weeknight dinners and more.
Vegan sausages are almost indistinguishable from meat-based sausages in our opinion, so it’s a great meal to serve to or around omnivores if you are trying to impress them with how vegans eat things that are very similar.
We highly recommend making the sauce, but some people will stop at just the sausages, peppers, and onions. If you really want a heightened flavor, definitely make the sauce.
Never miss another post! Sign up for our weekly newsletter and get them all delivered easily! Plus, 15 easy recipes delivered immediately!
CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP!
VEGAN SAUSAGE AND PEPPERS SANDWICH INGREDIENTS:
Below are notes about the ingredients before we get into the full recipe located lower in this post on how to make these meat free sausage and peppers hoagie:
- Vegan Sausages – In the photo we are using Lightlife Italian Sausages. You could also use their vegan Bratwursts.
- Bell Peppers – We love using a variety of colors to make this dish more visually appealing but also because there are slight taste differences in each as well.
- Onions – We love sweet onions with this recipe because of the flavor they add. They don’t have a sharp taste that some other onions have and when caramelized on the grill they are ever better.
- Tomato Paste: Part of the base of our sauce, the depth that using tomato paste gives is amazing and like always, you only need a little.
- Dijon Mustard: We are basically infusing the ketchup and mustard directly into the peppers and onions. Dijon kicks up the flavor even more than just a regular yellow mustard
- Mushroom Broth : Even if you don’t like mushrooms, we recommend using mushroom broth in this recipe for the umami flavor it brings.
- Italian Seasoning: This blend of spices is perfect in just kicking up this recipe a notch.
SUBSTITUTIONS AND VARIATIONS:
- Vegan Sausages – You can use your favorite vegan sausages or bratwursts. You could also do this with vegan hot dogs if you want.
- Bell Peppers – Pick only one color or multiple like we did. You could also switch it up and do some poblanos or other peppers depending on your spice level.
- Onions – Another option would be to grill up some red onions. They grill really nicely and are another great choice.
- Tomato Paste: You could sub this with ketchup but it won’t give it so much depth of flavor.
- Dijon Mustard: You can use regular yellow mustard as well.
- Mushroom Broth : Swap for a rich vegetable broth
- Italian Seasoning: Great creative and use your favorite brands!
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
CAN I MAKE THIS AHEAD OF TIME?
Yes! Don’t put this on the bun until ready to eat, but the sausages and peppers/onion mixture can be made up to 3 days in advance.
CAN I MAKE THIS TOP 8 ALLERGEN FREE?
We picked the Lightlife sausages because they were Top 8 Free. Use a gluten free vegan bun, eat without a bun or a lettuce wrap to make this Top 8 Free. Otherwise there is no other ingredients that are Top 8 Allergens inside this recipe.
WHAT DO I EAT WITH VEGAN SAUSAGE AND PEPPERS SANDWICH?
We love these with just chips on the side, but any of your favorite summer salads would also be great. Here’s some ideas:
What other vegan grill ideas could I make?
Pin this vegan sausage and peppers sandwich for later!
Vegan Sausage and Peppers Sandwich
- Preheat grill to 350 degrees F or medium heat.
- Slice peppers and onions thin. Add to a bowl with 1 tbsp oil, 1/4 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper. Toss well.
- Add the sausages to the grill and cook according to the package instructions.
- Add the peppers and onions to the grill on either a grill mat or a vegetable basket. Toss every 2 minutes until charred and softened (about 6-8 minutes).
- While grilling, in a bowl, whisk together tomato paste, mustard and mushroom stock until well combined. Add in Italian seasoning, remaining 1/4 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper, stir together.
- In a skillet over medium heat, add 1 tbsp oil and saute garlic for 1 minute. Add in the grilled peppers and onions and the sauce. Stir together well and cook until heated through and no liquid remains.
- Add the sausages to the bun and top with the onions and peppers mixture.
Let’s see your creations!
Share to Instagram and tag us @makeitdairyfree so we can see and share it!