These vegan pumpkin butter sugar buns are fluffy and full of flavor. Great for breakfast on the go or fall get togethers!
These vegan pumpkin butter sugar buns are sometimes also called morning buns. They are soft, fluffy and a great option if you love cinnamon rolls, but want them in a muffin shaped.
Essentially these are in fact cinnamon rolls, but instead of putting them in a baking pan, they go in muffin tins. This is great for those of you who are limited in their kitchen goods.
Either way, these are amazing for those pumpkin lovers out there who are looking for a unique spin on making cinnamon rolls.
If you are having people over for breakfast or brunch, these are perfect for serving to others since they are a handheld option. This also means they are perfect for breakfast on the go if you have kids, are in college, or just on the run before work in the morning.
Never miss another post! Sign up for our weekly newsletter and get them all delivered easily! Plus, 15 easy recipes delivered immediately!
CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP!
VEGAN PUMPKIN BUTTER SUGAR BUNS INGREDIENTS:
Below are notes about the ingredients before we get into the full recipe located lower in this post on how to make this vegan pumpkin cinnamon roll muffins:
- bread flour – we use bread flour for the recipe to give it the perfect texture
- vegan cane sugar – Cane sugar is what we are using. If you want to learn more about why your sugar may not be vegan, you can learn more by clicking on the link.
- instant yeast – we are using instant yeast so that the recipe goes as fast as possible
- pumpkin butter – pumpkin butter is a thick jelly/jam product that can usually be found at speciality stores, especially around the fall
- pumpkin pie spice – this is a blend of seasoning that combines cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, allspice, and cloves
- vegan butter – provides moisture and richness to the dough
SUBSTITUTIONS AND VARIATIONS:
- flour – you can use all purpose flour
- vegan sugar – swap with date or coconut sugar
- yeast – you can use active dry yeast but it will take longer to rise
- pumpkin butter – you can use another thick jam/jelly like apple butter, pear butter, etc.
- pumpkin pie spice – if you don’t have pumpkin pie spice you can just use cinnamon or make a blend with single ingredients (provided in the notes section of the recipe card below)
Frequently Asked Questions:
There is flour and vegan butter in this recipe.
For the vegan butter, use a soy free version like Flora or Earth Balance soy free.
We cannot recommend a gluten free flour to use with this dough at this time.
These vegan sugar buns will last for up to 5 days when stored in an air tight container.
Best if warmed for 30-45 seconds if not eating immediately.
They can be stored at room temperature and do not need to be refrigerated.
YES. You can use apple butter, pear butter, or another thick jam/jelly like product to get the desired flavor you want.
Instant yeast rises faster and usually gives less of an issue. However, you can still use active dry. It typically will take longer to rise.
No, not at all. We prefer it, but it’s not a requirement. You can make this recipe with a bowl and a silicone spatula. But the kneading by hand will be the hardest part.
What other vegan pumpkin recipes could I make?
If you love pumpkin recipes, we hope that you absolutely love even more! Here’s even more vegan pumpkin recipes:
- Vegan Pumpkin Sugar Cookies
- No Bake Vegan Pumpkin Cheesecake
- No Yeast Vegan Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls
- Vegan Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Vegan Pumpkin Chocolate Babka
- Vegan Pumpkin Dinner Rolls
- Vegan Pumpkin Cookies
Get even more vegan pumpkin recipes!
Pin these vegan pumpkin butter sugar buns for later!
Let’s see your creations!
Share to Instagram and tag us @makeitdairyfree so we can see and share it!
Vegan Pumpkin Butter Cinnamon Buns
- 1 cup warm water (not hot!)
- ⅓ cup vegan cane sugar
- 1 packet instant yeast (1 packet = 2 ¼ tsp)
- ½ cup pumpkin butter
- 2 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 cups bread flour, divided (can use all-purpose)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- ¼ cup vegan butter, divided
For the Filling
- ¼ cup vegan butter, melted
- 2 tablespoon vegan cane sugar
- 2 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ cup vegan butter, melted
- ½ cup vegan cane sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- In a stand mixer bowl, with a paddle attachment, (or a large bowl) add the warm water, sugar, and yeast. Mix together. Let sit for 5 minutes. Add in pumpkin butter and vanilla. Combine again.
- Turn stand mixer to low and add 2 cups of flour, salt, and pumpkin pie spice. When almost all combined add 1 more cup of flour and combine again.
- Switch to a dough hook and add 1 more cup of flour and mix just until combined. Add in butter 1 tablespoon at a time, mixing completely after each.
- Let knead for 8-10 minutes on medium speed or until it doesn't stick to the bowl. It will pull away from the bowl. Still slightly sticky but not sticking to your hands.
- Spray bowl, form into a ball and place ball inside. Cover with a towel or plastic wrap and let sit for 60 minutes in a warm, draft free place, or until doubled.
- Once doubled in size, pull out the dough and lay it out on a lightly floured surface. Using a rolling pin, roll dough into an approximately 17×25″ rectangle that is ¼″ thick.
- In a bowl, whisk together the filling ingredients. Spread the mixture evenly across dough.
- Carefully cut vertically 12 pieces (about 2 inches each). Roll tightly each piece and then place then in a greased muffin tin. Cover with a towel or plastic wrap and let sit for 30-40 minutes in a warm, draft free place.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F while waiting to rise, then place inside oven and bake for 30-35 minutes.
- Remove and let cool. In a small bowl combine the cinnamon and sugar for the coating.
- Once cooled, brush the tops with melted butter and then roll in the cinnamon sugar mixture.
- Serve warm.
- 1 ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon cloves
- ¼ teaspoon allspice
Did you make and love this recipe?
Click the 5 stars in the recipe card above or below in the comment section! This is a great way to support us so we can continue to bring great recipes!
Leave a Reply