These easy vegan pumpkin cookies are quick to make, soft, and fluffy with the perfect amount of glaze. Top 8 Allergen Free option.
The fall brings out all the pumpkin recipes and whether you like sweet or savory pumpkin recipes, we think you are going to love these vegan pumpkin cookies.
They are soft and fluffy and the absolutely most perfect cookies for the fall season.
I mean pumpkin! cookies! glaze! Oh my! What’s not to love here?
Whether you make your own pumpkin puree or you buy it in a can, if you love pumpkin these will be your absolute favorite vegan autumnal cookies.
Okay, maybe they have some competition from our vegan salted caramel cookies, but you get the point. THEY ARE SO DARN GOOD!
Never miss another recipe! Get our recipes straight to your inbox when you sign up for our weekly newsletter today! Our Top 15 posts automatically sent to you! Plus, enjoy behind the scenes, giveaways, and other exclusive content!
Sign up for our newsletter HERE!!
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I make vegan pumpkin cookies Top 8 Allergen Free?
Whether you have a gluten allergy or dairy or another Top 8, you will be happy to know that you can make these completely free of top allergens.
For the vegan butter, we would recommend using a soy free vegan butter, like Earth Balance soy free in the red tub.
For the dairy free milk, any plant based milk can be used. We prefer oat, but use what you like best depending on your allergens.
For gluten free, we have had the best of luck with King Arthur Measure for Measure flour.
How long are vegan pumpkin cookies good for?
A good rule of thumb is that you can store most vegan cookies in an air-tight container at room temperature and they will last for approximately 5-7 days.
Can vegan pumpkin cookies be frozen?
Yes! You can either freeze the dough before cooking or freeze the cookies after. We prefer to freeze the dough before cooking.
What we have found works best is when you make the dough, form balls and then freeze the balls in either an air-tight container or ziplock style bag.
If you freeze the cookies after baking, make sure they are completely cooled. It’s best to let them freeze on a baking sheet before putting them into a bag so they don’t stick together.
Can I make these with butternut squash instead of pumpkin?
Absolutely! You just need the same amount of butternut squash as the recipes calls for pumpkin.
Why are my cookies flat?
These vegan pumpkin cookies are supposed to be round and thick. If your cookies happen to come out flat a few things could have happened.
The two most common reasons deal with the vegan butter and flour.
The vegan butter calls for softened butter. Usually, a common mistake is melting the butter or even warming it too much so that part of it melts. You want the butter to be soft. Softened butter for be pliable but still be slightly firm.
As far as flour, mismeasuring flour can completely alter the recipe. It’s best to spoon flour into the measuring cup and then scrape off excess with the a butter knife until an even layer.
Can I use a cream cheese frosting instead of the glaze?
Yes! Some people like a thicker frosting and it’s great on these pumpkin cookies.
You can use the vegan cream cheese frosting that we put inside of our vegan pumpkin rolls.
Alternatively, you could use the spiced cream cheese frosting in our vegan pumpkin cinnamon rolls.
Can I add pumpkin pie extract to the glaze for even more pumpkin flavor?
Yes, you can add 1/4 tsp and the rest vanilla or if you want even more pumpkin flavor, you can replace all the vanilla with pumpkin pie extract.
What other vegan cookie ideas could I make?
Whether you are doing a cookie exchange or you just want to switch up and make a new vegan cookie recipe, we have you covered.
We have over a dozen vegan cookie recipes that you can find when you click on ourbest vegan cookie recipes roundup.
We have everything from the salted caramel cookies to things like:
- vegan snickerdoodles
- vegan classic sugar cookies
- easy vegan chocolate chip cookies
- vegan peanut butter cookies
- vegan oatmeal cookies
- and more!
Just click here.
Pin these vegan pumpkin cookies for later:
Vegan Pumpkin Cookies
For the cookies
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Lay parchment paper down on a baking sheet.
- Into a medium bowl, add flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, ginger, all spice and salt. Whisk together. Set aside.
- In a larger bowl, cream together vegan sugar and butter for 2-3 minutes.
- Add pumpkin, applesauce and vanilla. Beat again.
- Slowly beat in the flour mixture in parts just until combined. DO NOT OVERMIX.
- Scoop out a tablespoon of the mixture and roll into a ball. Place on parchment lined baking sheet 2 inches apart. Repeat with remaining dough. *Can do a larger size if you want a larger cookie, just make sure even size when baking
- Bake for 15-18 minutes. Remove and let cool for 2-3 minutes before removing to a cookie rack to cool completely.
For the Glaze
- While cookies, bake combine powdered sugar and 3 tablespoons of dairy free milk. Whisk together. Add in vanilla extract, whisk again until smooth. Add remaining tablespoon of milk if needed for consistency.
- Once cookies are completely cooled, place baking sheet under cooling rack to catch any excess and drizzle glaze over cookies.
Share a photo of our recipe you made! Tag us @makeitdairyfree and use #MakeItDairyFree on Social so we can feature you!