This easy vegan gingerbread cake is a hit for the holidays. Make a basic sheet pan cake or get fancy and turn it into a bundt cake for a festive holiday display.
Move over vegan gingerbread cookies, there’s a new dessert in town and it’s going to be a hit. This vegan gingerbread cake is so easy to make and it’s so soft, so fluffy, and perfectly spiced to make you want to lick the plate after you are done.
Gingerbread cookies are always a hit at the holidays, however some people don’t care for cookies and prefer a cake. With this easy and festive vegan gingerbread cake you can have the best of both worlds.
If you do love gingerbread cookies then you can click on the link above to get our recipe for those and if you want even another twist on a classic, try our vegan gingerbread cinnamon rolls.
Never miss another post! Sign up for our weekly newsletter and get them all delivered easily! Plus, 15 easy recipes delivered immediately!
CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP!
Frequently Asked Questions:
CAN I MAKE THIS INTO VEGAN GINGERBREAD CUPCAKES?
You can absolutely make this into vegan gingerbread cupcakes.
Just make the recipe as directed and then instead of filling cake pans, you’ll want to pour the batter into cupcake tins (or liners) 3/4 of the way full. Baking time will vary depending on what size cupcakes you are making, but the rule of them for standard size cupcakes is about 18-22 minutes.
Can I make this into a round cake pan or bundt pan?
This cake will fill two round 9″ pans or you could make it into a bundt pan. If you are making it into a bundt pan, we highly recommend that you oil AND flour the pan before before putting the batter inside.
HOW DO I MAKE THIS VEGAN GINGERBREAD CAKE LOOK EXACTLY LIKE YOURS?
We get it. No one likes “Pinterest fails”. You see something and think, “that’s out of my league, no way I’m trying that.” Take a deep breathe and instead say, “I’m going to following these steps and make the best cake I’ve ever made.”
Step 1: It’s all about positive thinking.
Step 2: You need to follow some really important tips that we’re going to share with you on how to make the best dairy free gingerbread cake that actually looks like it came from a bakery. Your guests (and yourself) are going to be blown away.
HERE’S OUR TIPS FOR MAKING THIS CAKE LOOK EXACTLY LIKE OURS IN THE PICTURE:
- Follow the instructions pretty please. Cake baking is a science, especially when making a dairy free/vegan cake. The sifting and exact ingredient amounts are very important. Every step has a purpose to ensure the perfect dairy free gingerbread cake.
- We are using a standard 9×13 cake pan for the photos.
- Make sure that you evenly distribute the cake batter into the cake pan. If you are making smaller cakes than just 1 sheet pan, then you can use a scale to make sure that they are all within a small range of each other.
- When the cake is cooked, remove from oven and place on a cooling rack to allow the cake to cool.
- Let the cake cool to touch, then remove carefully to wax paper to cool completely. DO NOT RUSH. Let it cool completely before frosting.
- For the frosting, We didn’t go completely to the edges. Use a cake spreader to gently even out layer of frosting.
- For the greenery, we are just using a cutting from a pine tree outside our home that we washed and dried prior to making. Remove this before anyone consumes the cake.
- For the candied cranberries, we made a simple syrup (get our simple syrup recipe here) and then tossed fresh cranberries in the syrup. Immediately place them on a cooling rack over a baking sheet so the baking sheet catches any drops. Let sit for 10 minutes, the toss in a bowl of vegan cane sugar. Place back on the cooling rack and allow to dry.
WHAT ARE SOME VEGAN FROSTING IDEAS FOR THIS CAKE?
We are sharing in the recipe below a vegan cream cheese frosting, but we also have other options if you decide not to make that one.
One great thing about cakes is that you can mix and match frostings! We absolutely love doing this. Some ideas for vegan cake frostings are:
- Vegan Vanilla Frosting
- Vegan Buttercream Frosting
- Vegan Chocolate Frosting
- Vegan Nutmeg Spiced Buttercream Frosting
CAN I MAKE THIS A TOP 8 ALLERGEN FRIENDLY GINGERBREAD CAKE?
Yes! There are a few ingredients that we are looking at for Top 8 allergens.
To start, you can make this gluten free (we like this GF flour). Please note that you should allow the cake to cool and keep at room temperature.
Then, use a safe for you dairy free milk. We like oat, but you could use hemp or flax or pea milk for a top 8 free milk.
The vegan butter can BE soy free if you use a soy free one.
What other vegan cake ideas could I make?
Once you have perfected this vegan cake, you may be looking out for other delicious dairy free cupcakes or cakes. Here are some dairy free dessert recipe ideas.
- Vegan Caramel Cake
- Vegan Carrot Cake Cupcakes
- Vegan Coconut Cake
- Dye Free Red Velvet Cupcakes
- Vegan Strawberry Cake
- The Best Vegan Chocolate Cake
- Vegan Apple Pie
- Vegan Carrot Cake
- The Best Vegan Chocolate Lava Cakes
- Vegan Lemon Pound Cake
Pin this vegan gingerbread cake for later:
Vegan Gingerbread Cake
For the Cake Batter
- 1 cup dairy free milk (we prefer oat)
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (use Gluten Free 1:1 blend if needed)
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp allspice
- 1/4 tsp cloves
- 1/2 cup vegan butter, room temperature
- 1 cup vegan cane sugar
- 2/3 cup molasses
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 9x13inch sheet pan with parchment paper and spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- Add 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar to a 1 cup measuring cup and fill remaining cup with dairy free milk. Set aside (this makes vegan buttermilk).
- In a medium bowl sift flour, then add baking soda, baking powder, salt, ginger, cinnamon, allspice, and cloves. Set aside.
- In a large bowl cream together sugar and vegan butter until light and fluffy (about 2-3 minutes).
- Add molasses and beat until combined.
- Add applesauce and vanilla extract and mix until well combined.
- With the flour mixture and vegan buttermilk mixture, alternate between them, adding in three batches. Mix until just combined. DO NOT OVERMIX.
- Pour batter into pan and smooth the top to ensure one even layer. Bake for 25-35 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the middle, comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and place on a cooling rack. Let cool to touch then move to a wax lined paper to cool completely before frosting.
For the Frosting
- Beat together the vegan butter and cream cheese.
- Add in vanilla and blend again.
- Add in powdered sugar, 1 cup at a time and blend until combined.
- Once cake has cooled completely, add frosting to the top of the cake (may not need to use all of the frosting if not desired).
Let’s see your creations!
Share to Instagram and tag us @makeitdairyfree so we can see and share it!