This Instant Pot Vegan Dirty Rice recipe is an easy and delicious one pot meal that’s a spin on a Southern classic. Can be made whole food plant based oil free and can be made on the stove.
Many times people think that Southern recipes have to be the hardest recipes to make vegan. And sometimes that is true. However, this Instant Pot vegan dirty rice is one recipe that isn’t hard at all.
Luckily, we are living in a time where vegan meat substitutes are readily available and there are options everywhere.
Thus, making southern classics, like Louisiana creole dirty rice easy to recreate into a vegan dinner recipe.
The instant pot is our preferred method for this dish because of the quick prep time and minimal time standing over a stove. We love that there’s only about 10 minutes of time prepping this dish and the rest of the time it’s cooking.
If you’re looking for a vegan dish for Mardi Gras, lent, or just a random family dinner idea, then this is the recipe for you!
Never miss another post! Sign up for our weekly newsletter and get them all delivered easily! Plus, 15 easy recipes delivered immediately!
CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP!
What ingredients do you need for instant pot vegan dirty rice?
This recipe needs 15 ingredients to make from start to finish.
- vegetable broth
- bay leaves
- brown rice
- olive oil (or more vegetable stock)
- vegan beefless crumbles
- vegan chick’n
- vegan sausage
- red onion
- green bell pepper
- creole cajun
- dried thyme
- green onions
Full amounts listed below in the printable recipe card.
Can I make this whole foods plant based, no oil recipe?
We know that some people prefer not to eat vegan mock meat and would prefer other whole foods options. You can substitute those vegan meats and the oil to make this a WFPB-No Oil Dinner recipe.
In order to do that you would want to replace all the meats with red beans, mushrooms, tofu, or even chickpeas.
The oil can just be replaced with more vegetable stock.
Is this Instant Pot vegan dirty rice spicy?
Creole seasoning does have some spice to it but this dish as a whole is not very spicy.
If you do swap the creole seasoning for cajun seasoning you may want to use less.
How do I make this vegan dirty rice on the stove top?
You do not! While this is the preferred method because of the easy prep and not standing over the stove, you can make this on the stove.
You want to make your rice first according to the package instructions on your rice. Use the vegetable stock instead of water. Depending on your package you may need to increase or decrease the amount of stock called for in the recipe.
While that is cooking, chop your vegetables.
Then, proceed with the recipe in a large skillet by sautéing the vegetables, adding in the seasoning, and then the vegan meat options. Once your rice is done add that in and stir to combine.
You add the vegetable stock in while making the rice and not in with skillet ingredients. Add a splash of stock if needed while cooking on the skillet.
Can I prep this Instant Pot vegan dirty rice ahead of time?
Yes! This can be made ahead of time. In fact, if you store it in an air tight container, this can be stored for up to 7 days. It’s absolutely perfect for those of you who meal prep.
DO I HAVE TO USE BROWN RICE?
You do not have to use brown rice. However, if you do use white rice in this recipe, you need to reduce the time to 10 minutes on manual instead of 25.
Can this be a Top 8 Allergy Free dirty rice recipe?
Depending on the brand of vegan meat that you use, you may have to watch out for soy, wheat, or coconut.
However, you can follow the instructions for making this dish whole foods plant based above and then it would be Top 8 Allergen Free.
What are other vegan Instant Pot recipes I should try?
The Instant Pot is one of our favorite appliances and we have been sharing more and more ways to use it. Here are some other vegan Instant Pot recipes that we have:
- Instant Pot Vegan Taco Soup
- Instant Pot Vegan Split Pea Soup
- Vegan Tex Mex Rice (pictured above)
- Instant Pot Vegan Black Bean Soup
- Instant Pot Vegan Garlic Turmeric Rice
Pin this Instant Pot vegan dirty rice for later:
Instant Pot Vegan Dirty Rice
- 6 qt Instant Pot
- 1 tbsp olive oil (can sub for vegetable stock)
- 1 1/2 cups brown rice
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 ribs celery, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp creole seasoning
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 lb vegan beefless crumbles (we use Gardein)
- 1 cup vegan chick'n strips, cut into bite size pieces (we use Gardein)
- 1/2 cup vegan sausage, cut into slices (about 2 sausages – we used Field Roast Apple Sage)
- 1 quart vegetable broth (low sodium preferred)
- 2 bay leaves
- sliced green onions, garnish
- Chop the pepper, onions, celery and garlic.
- Turn instant pot onto Saute method.
- Add in your olive oil (or veg stock is avoiding oil).
- Once hot, add in your rice and toast for 3 minutes. Stirring often so it doesn't burn on the bottom.
- Add in your onions and peppers, stirring often and cooking 3 minutes or until translucent.
- Add garlic and saute for 1 minute. Turn off saute method.
- Add creole seasoning, salt and thyme. Stir together.
- Add in vegan beefless cumbles, chick'n strips, and slice sausage.
- Add vegetable stock and bay leaves. Stir together again.
- Put on instant pot lid and make sure that the pressure valve is sealed. Press manual and cook on high pressure for 25 minutes.
- When the time goes off, let the pressure release via Quick Release. *If you are not sure about this, please read your manual.
- Let the lid stay on for 10 minutes before serving.
- Stir everything together serve with sliced green onions on top.
Let’s see your creations!
Share to Instagram and tag us @makeitdairyfree so we can see and share it!