With just a little bit of prep time, you can have an absolutely incredible homemade vegan spaghetti sauce
Jarred pasta sauce is quick and convenient, but you often spend time having to doctor it up for a better taste. Now you can easily make your own homemade vegan spaghetti sauce at home and it’s perfect right away.
You can use this for pasta, pizza, dipping bread, on meatball subs and so much more. The possibilities are endless and you’ll be so happy with the results.
Never miss another post! Sign up for our weekly newsletter and get them all delivered easily! Plus, 15 easy recipes delivered immediately!
CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP!
Frequently Asked Questions:
What are the best canned tomatoes to use for homemade vegan spaghetti sauce?
We are using a varieties of tomatoes to give the biggest impact in flavor and texture. While you could nix and match depending on what you have, if you truly want the best we recommend using the ones we have listed
Can I prep this homemade vegan spaghetti sauce ahead of time?
Once made, let cool completely. Then, you can store it in an air tight container in the fridge for up to a week.
Can I freeze this easy vegan spaghetti sauce?
Yes! In addition to being able to store this sauce in the fridge, you can put it into freezer safe bags or containers and store in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Let thaw out overnight or put in warm water to thaw before opening your bag or container.
Is this Homemade Vegan Spaghetti Sauce Top 8 Allergen Friendly?
The only ingredient that you need to be mindful of for allergens are the vegan butter.
Use a soy free vegan butter if you need. Or you can just omit.
Can I make this vegan spaghetti sauce oil free?
We add a hint of vegan butter for richness, but if you are oil free, then free free to omit it without any other changes or additions.
What can I serve with homemade vegan spaghetti soup?
Obviously spaghetti! And it’s delicious together, but there are more options.
Here’s a few more ideas that go well with vegan tomato soup:
- make homemade pizza and use it as a sauce
- dip our homemade vegan breadsticks in it
- use it as a sauce for meatball subs added to our vegan baguette bread
Pin this easy Vegan Spaghetti Sauce for Later!
Homemade Vegan Spaghetti Sauce
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1 15 oz can tomato sauce
- 1 14.5oz can petite diced tomatoes (with juice)
- 4 tsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp dried parsley
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes, Optional, more or less to taste, can omit
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil (or 1 tbsp dried)
- 1 tbsp vegan butter
- Over medium heat, in a large pot, add oil. Add onion and saute until lightly browned and translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and saute for 1 more minute until fragrant.
- Stir in the tomato paste, crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, brown sugar, oregano, parsley, thyme, salt, pepper, red pepper flakes (if using) and bay leaf.
- Bring to a high summer, then reduce heat to simmer and then partially cover the lid. Let cook for a minimum of 1 hour (up to 3 hours), stir occasionally. *Check to make sure sauce is not sticking to bottom. If it is, reduce heat further.
- Remove bay leaf. Add vegan butter and chopped basil. Let butter melt and stir well. Remove from heat and serve as desired.
Let’s see your creations!
Share to Instagram and tag us @makeitdairyfree so we can see and share it!