This super easy vegan broccoli salad needs just minutes to come together and is perfect for lunches or take to your next get together!
If you are looking to switch up your normal summer salad or you just want a new lunch idea, then this vegan broccoli salad will be just what you are looking for.
Broccoli lovers agree that any way to eat broccoli is a win, but this cold salad is absolute perfection.
Plus, it’s ridiculously easy to make and one of those dishes that tastes even better the next day.
It’s just a win-win in our book!
Never miss another post! Sign up for our weekly newsletter and get them all delivered easily! Plus, 15 easy recipes delivered immediately!
CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP!
Frequently Asked Questions:
Can I use frozen broccoli?
We do not recommend frozen broccoli for this easy vegan broccoli salad due to the water content once thawed. It’s best to use fresh.
Can I make this Top 8 Allergen Free?
The only 2 ingredients that are in this recipe that may contain allergens is the vegan bacon bits and vegan mayo. Both of which normally contain soy.
The vegan mayo can be swapped easily with a soy free version.
The vegan bacon bits could be omitted or you can make something like a top 8 allergen carrot bacon and just make extra crispy and then break into pieces.
Otherwise, this recipe does not contain any major allergens.
Can I prep this Vegan Broccoli Salad ahead of time?
You can! This salad is good for 7 days store in an air tight container in the fridge. If you are serving to a crowd, we’d recommend not making more than 2-3 days in advance.
It even tastes best if it’s been allowed to sit overnight or up to 24 hours.
Can I double the recipe?
Absolutely. There are no changes that you need to make to adjust. Just literally double all the ingredients.
Can I cut the recipe in half?
Yes! If you don’t think you can eat the full recipe (roughly 8 cups of salad). then you can cut the recipe in half by literally just halving all the ingredients.
Can I make this recipe oil free vegan broccoli salad?
Yes! Instead of using the vegan mayo, you can make an avocado mayo. Blend up some avocado and water, add a splash of optional lemon juice and/or apple cider vinegar and use this as your mayo.
One avocado should be enough to make 1 cup. Thin out to desired texture.
Can I make this raw vegan broccoli salad?
Yes! Instead of blanching the broccoli, just skip this step and eat the broccoli raw.
Use a dehydrated carrot bacon in place of the bacon bits and follow the instructions above for swapping the mayo with an avocado type sauce.
Lastly, the coconut sugar could be omitted or you could add in some or make a date paste.
Do I have to steam the broccoli for broccoli salad?
Nope! This step is completely optional. Steaming the broccoli for just a few minutes allows it to soften a bit; however, if you like completely raw broccoli, then you can skip this step entirely.
What do you serve with vegan broccoli salad?
This delicious vegan broccoli salad can be enjoyed all on its own or enjoyed as a side dish with your favorite burger, seitan or vegan hot dogs. Here’s a few ideas.
- Vegan BBQ Seitan Chicken
- Vegan High Protein Burgers
- Vegan Chickpea Burgers
- Vegan Copycat Chick-fil-a Veggie Wraps
- Vegan “Chicken” Salad
- Chickpea Vegan Tuna Salad
What are other vegan side dishes that are great for the summer?
While many cold salads are synonymous with summer, the truth is that this vegan broccoli salad and the rest below are good year round.
Pin this vegan broccoli salad for later:
Easy Vegan Broccoli Salad
- 5 cups fresh broccoli florets
For the Dressing
For the Add-ins
- 1 cup red grapes, halved or quartered
- 1 sweet, crisp apple (like fuji or pink lady), cored and diced
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries (can sub with dried cherries)
- 1/2 cup vegan bacon bits
- 1/2 cup sunflower kernels (optional)
- 1/2 cup vegan cheddar cheese, (optional)
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Rinse broccoli and then cut into small bite size pieces. *Save the stems for another dish like fried rice or homemade vegetable stock.
- Add broccoli to a large bowl and very carefully pour boiling water into bowl. Let blanch for 3 minutes. Quickly drain the broccoli in a colander and rinse with cold water to stop the cooking. *This softens the broccoli but still allows for a crunch. If you want completely crunchy, skip this step. If you want softer broccoli, go for 5 minutes.
- Make the dressing by combining all the ingredients into a bowl and stirring to combine.
- Chop the grapes and apple.
- Add the broccoli, grapes, apple pieces and cranberries to a large bowl.
- Add the dressing and gently toss to coat the mixture.
- You can eat right away or best to allow mixture to marry together for a few hours to bring the flavors together.
- Before serving, add in the vegan bacon bits and optional sunflower kernels or vegan cheese.
- Store leftovers in an air tight container in the fridge for up to 7 days.
Let’s see your creations!
Share to Instagram and tag us @makeitdairyfree so we can see and share it!