These vegan walnut breakfast sausage crumbles are perfect in anything that you loved breakfast sausage on or in before. Try it on pizza, breakfast burritos and more!
One of our most popular recipes on our site is our vegan walnut taco meat. After using it to make a multitude of recipes over time, we new we wanted to use the same concept with different seasonings. Insert: vegan walnut breakfast sausage crumbles.
Once we knew we could successfully make a taco flavored meat out of walnuts, we knew that we had something special on hand.
After all, traditional meat isn’t vastly different from each other, but more so, it all lies within the spices and how you season things.
Once we had the spices down packed, then it was time to test and what we ended up with is a phenomenal plant based meat substitute for breakfast sausage that is oh so so good.
Never miss another post! Sign up for our weekly newsletter and get them all delivered easily! Plus, 15 easy recipes delivered immediately!
Sign Up For My Newsletter Today!
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I prep this ahead?
Yes! This is actually a great meal prep planning dish to make. You have 2 options.
One, you can soak the walnuts for up to 2 days ahead of time. Then, when ready proceed with the recipe as normal.
The other option is to make the entire recipe at one time, but place the finished product in an air tight container for up to 7 days in the fridge.
Can I make this Top 8 Allergen Free?
We can easily tell you how to make this Top 7 free, but the base of the dish is walnuts, making it hard to say it’s easily Top 8 Free.
The soy sauce is the only other ingredient that we are concerned with. Depending on the allergies you have, you can replace the soy sauce with gluten-free tamari, coconut aminos or a Top 8 no soy sauce (click links to see each).
While it will taste different and the texture won’t be the same, you could also pulse chickpeas down and replace the walnuts to make it Top 8 Allergy Free.
HOW MUCH DOES THIS MAKE AND CAN I DOUBLE THE RECIPE?
We know some families are large and may need to make more. The recipe as written makes 3 cups of walnut “meat”. It’s enough for our family of four; however, you can easily double or triple the recipe for your needs. Just add the same amount line for line.
Pin this vegan walnut breakfast sausage crumbles for later:
Vegan Walnut Breakfast Sausage Crumbles
- 3 cups walnuts
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar (can swap with coconut sugar)
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon sage
- 2 teaspoon thyme
- 1 ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ tsp rosemary
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes, omit for less spicy
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ cup vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon coconut aminos (sub with soy sauce or no soy soy sauce)
- 1 tablespoon tapioca starch
- Soak walnuts in a bowl, covered with boiling water for at least 30 minutes. *See post for tips on prepping ahead
- While soaking, add the brown sugar and seasonings to a bowl and stir to blend together and set aside.
- Drain walnuts. Put them into a food processor and pulse until you have meat like crumbles. *Be careful not to over process or you will end up with walnut butter.
- Into a skillet, add about olive oil and let heat over medium heat.
- Add in walnut crumbles. Stir together.
- Sprinkle seasoning across the crumbles and stir. Let cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add in the vegetable stock, coconut aminos and tapioca starch.
- Let cook for another 7-10 minutes softened and browned.
- Remove from heat and use as desired.