These Vegan Carrot Cake Pancakes with Maple Coconut Cream Cheese Glaze are the perfect switch up from your normal pancake routine! Easy to make and can be Top 8 Allergen Free.
It’s a spring morning and you are looking to switch up your normal breakfast routine. Look no further, because we’ve got you covered. Whether it’s Easter morning and you need a last minute deliciously fun breakfast, or it’s just a random Saturday in September, these vegan carrot cake pancakes aim to please everyone.
We’re taking inspiration from our delicious vegan carrot cake, and turning that into pancake form. Pancakes are a great way to get a filling breakfast and we paired with our maple coconut cream cheese glaze for the ultimate take on carrot cake.
If you’ve never had carrot cake and you are a little on the fence about putting carrots, a vegetable, into your pancakes (almost like dessert), have no fear. The carrots help in making these a sweet and treat like breakfast that is great year round.
This vegan carrot cake pancake recipe is:
- dairy free
- egg free
- Can be made Top 8 Allergen Free (including Gluten Free)
What ingredients do you need to make Vegan Carrot Cake Pancakes?
These dairy free carrot cake pancakes are ready in just a few simple steps and take 12 ingredients to make. Mostly everything on our ingredient list for this vegan pancake recipe is a pantry staple. The ingredients that you need for these pancakes are:
- dairy free milk
- apple cider vinegar
- brown sugar
- baking powder
- ground ginger
- optional: walnuts or pecans
If you are making the optional maple coconut cream cheese glaze, you will also need maple syrup, powdered sugar, and Creme of Coconut (see product link). You could use the fat part off a can of chilled full fat coconut milk, if you can’t find Creme of Coconut (but we prefer the later). Note: It’s about $3 in a store for a can, so be wary of online prices that are higher.
How do you make Vegan Carrot Cake Pancakes?
We start our vegan pancakes (like these vegan banana pancakes) by making a vegan buttermilk. To do that, combine the vinegar and dairy free milk together. Let it sit for 10 minutes. Afterwards, you have a liquid that resembles buttermilk.
While you wait for that to sit, in a large bowl add all the dry ingredients. Grate your carrots. Add the buttermilk to the dry ingredients once ready and combine well. Then, add in the shredded carrots and vanilla and combine well again.
Add a small amount of dairy free butter to a skillet over medium low heat. Add between 1/3 and 1/2 cup of pancake mixture to the skillet. Wait until bubbles start to form and flip. Cook other side for 1-2 minutes or until golden brown and remove. Repeat until no batter remains.
This recipe makes about 5 pancakes depending on how much batter you use per pancake.
Serve topped with butter, syrup, or any of your favorite sauces! Even ice cream if an extra special day!
Tip: Place an oven safe dish in the oven at the lowest temperature. Place pancakes on the dish after cooking to keep the pancakes warm while you cook all of them.
Can I make this Top 8 Free Carrot Cake Pancakes?
Yes! We’ve successfully made a variety of vegan pancakes Top 8 Free with a few simple swaps.
Soy – Ensure that your butter is soy free. We love Earth Balance soy free blend. It comes in a red tub.
Nuts – do not add the optional nuts in the recipe and use a nut free, dairy free milk, like oat milk.
Wheat/Gluten – We love using King Arthur’s Measure for Measure flour. It comes out great! Note: This is different than their gluten free all purpose flour.
The recipe otherwise is Top 8 Allergen Free.
Can I double the recipe to make more dairy free carrot cake pancakes?
This recipe as written, makes about 5 pancakes. If you are baking for a crowd, or just need more than that, you can double or triple or more this recipe. Literally, just add the same amount of ingredients depending on if you are doubling or tripling.
Can I freeze these vegan carrot cake pancakes?
Yes! Cook and cool completely the pancakes. Once cooled, add them to a freezer safe container or bag. Use within 3 months. When ready to eat, pull out one and heat in 30 second intervals until ready.
What are other vegan carrot cake recipes I should try?
If you are looking for even more vegan carrot recipes, we’ve got you covered. Everything listed is dairy and egg free carrot recipes.
- Vegan Carrot Cake
- Vegan Carrot Cake Cupcakes
- Carrot Cake Granola
- Carrot Cake Oatmeal
- Vegan Carrot Cake Smoothies
Pin this Vegan Carrot Cake Pancake recipe for later:
Are you following us on social media? Be the first to see what we’re doing and finding, behind the scenes, and other get recipes are resources we’ve finding by following along.
FACEBOOK INSTAGRAM PINTEREST TWITTER YOUTUBE
Vegan Carrot Cake Pancakes
- 2 1/2 cups dairy free milk
- 2 1/2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 1/2 cups carrots (about 3 carrots)
- 2 1/2 cups flour (*See post notes if gluten free)
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 3 tbsp baking powder
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp ginger
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts (pecans or walnuts), optional
- dairy free butter for skillet
- In a bowl, combine the vinegar and dairy free milk together. Let it sit for 10 minutes. This makes vegan buttermilk.
- Grate carrots. (*See notes about store bought shredded carrots)
- In a large bowl, add the flour, brown sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, nutmeg and ginger.
- Add the buttermilk to the dry ingredients once ready and combine well.
- Add in the shredded carrots and vanilla and combine well again.
- Carefully fold in chopped nuts if adding.
- To a skillet, over medium low heat, add a small amount of dairy free butter and melt.
- Add between 1/3 and 1/2 cup of pancake mixture to the skillet. Wait until bubbles start to form and flip.
- Cook other side for 1-2 minutes or until golden brown and remove. Repeat until no batter remains.
- Serve topped with butter, syrup, or any of your favorite sauces! Even ice cream if an extra special day!
Maple Coconut Cream Cheese Glaze
- If making the maple coconut cream cheese glaze, do so in between making pancakes. First, scoop out the thick part of the creme of coconut. Beat in a bowl until smooth. Add the maple syrup and combine well. Add in the powdered sugar and beat until you have a consistent glaze.
Did you make this recipe? Tag us @makeitdairyfree and use #MakeItDairyFree on Social so we can feature you!