This easy and delicious recipe will teach you how to roast pumpkin at home in no time! Use to make pumpkin puree, cubed pumpkin and more!
If you have never made your own roasted pumpkin from scratch, then you are missing out on one of the best things ever. Learn how to roast pumpkin easily!
You can use roasted pumpkin to make everything from pumpkin puree to cubed pumpkin for things like chili, pastas, rice bowls and more.
Luckily, we’re going to show you today just how easy it is to make it yourself at home. And you may, if you’ve never made it before, be shocked at just how easy it is to make yourself at home.
Never miss another post! Sign up for our weekly newsletter and get them all delivered easily! Plus, 15 easy recipes delivered immediately!
CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP!
Frequently Asked Questions
What’s the difference between baking and roasting?
Baking and roasting can be confusing, especially if you are new to being in the kitchen. Essentially, they are somewhat the same; however, just a tad different.
Roasting refers to cooking something, usually in an open dish, at a temperature higher than 400 degrees F.
What type of pumpkin do you want to use for roasting?
Large carving pumpkins are not that sweet and also usually too large to easily fit in an oven.
What are you looking for are smaller pumpkins, around 2-6lbs that are usually referred to as sugar pumpkins or pie pumpkins.
Do you peel the skin before roasting?
Yes or No.
Honestly whether or not you peel is completely up to you.
If you are making pumpkin for pumpkin puree, then there is no need to peel the skin first because the flesh just gets pulled away from the skin.
However, if you want to make cubed roasted pumpkin, then it is best to peel before you roast it in the oven.
Can I make oven roasted pumpkin Top 8 Allergen Free?
There are no Top Allergens when you make oven roasted pumpkin.
How long is oven roasted pumpkin good for?
Once your pumpkin is roasted, you can let cool and then choose an option:
- store in the fridge for 3-4 days in an air tight container
- store in the freezer for up to 3 months
Can oven roasted pumpkin be frozen?
Yes. No matter if you cube or puree, you can freeze pumpkin. You can freeze in an air tight freezer bag or container. We typically like to freeze in freezer safe bags in 2 cup portions.
Use within 3 months.
Can I make roasted pumpkin without oil?
Yes. You can make roasted pumpkin without oil. Just omit where it calls for it.
How do I make pumpkin puree?
Once your pumpkin is roasted, then you can put the pumpkin flesh into a high powdered blender or food processor and blend until no large chunks remain.
This pumpkin puree will be brighter in color than anything you’ve seen in a can; however, if can be used as normal in any recipe that calls for pumpkin puree.
Can I make more than one pumpkin at a time?
Yes! You can repeat the process for however many pumpkins you can easily get on a baking sheet at a time.
Zero waste tips:
For the skins and strings, you can throw those into your compost or if you don’t have a compost, you can always just put under a little bit of dirt around any flowers you may have, the nutrients will help.
For the seeds, try making our roasted pumpkin seeds.
What other oven roasted vegetables can I make?
There are so many other vegetables that you can roast like:
- and more!
Pin this how to roast pumpkin post for later:
How to Roast Pumpkin
- 1 small sugar or pie pumpkin (~2-6lbs)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Remove the stem.
- Cut the pumpkin in half all the way around the pumpkin. *If cubing, remove the skin with a peeler or pairing knife carefully first.
- Remove the seeds and strings.
For Pumpkin Puree
- Place on a baking sheet. No need to use oil. *If pureeing, do not add any spices.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until a fork easily pierces through.
- Remove and let cool to touch.
- Use a fork to pull the pumpkin flesh away from the skin.
- Add to a high powdered blender and blender. May need a splash of water to get started.
For Roasted Cubed Pumpkins
- Cut into 1 inch slices, then into 1 inch cubes.
- Drizzle with oil and any optional spices. Toss to combine.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until easily pierced with a fork.
- Use immediately or place in an air tight container for 3-4 days.
Let’s see your creations!
Share to Instagram and tag us @makeitdairyfree so we can see and share it!