This easy and delicious recipe will teach you how to roast butternut squash at home in no time! Use to make soup, plant based nuggets and more!
If you have never made your own roasted butternut squash from scratch, then you are missing out on one of the best things ever. Learn how to roast butternut squash easily!
You can use roasted butternut squash to puree or cube for everything like soup, pastas, pies and more.
In fact, anything that calls for cubed or pureed pumpkin, can be substituted for butternut squash.
Butternut squash is actually a bit sweeter than pumpkin, so especially in desserts, like pumpkin pie, it’s great to sub out for this butternut squash.
Luckily, we’re going to show you today just how easy it is to make it yourself at home. And you may, if you’ve never made it before, be shocked at just how easy it is to make yourself at home.
Never miss another post! Sign up for our weekly newsletter and get them all delivered easily! Plus, 15 easy recipes delivered immediately!
CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP!
Frequently Asked Questions
What’s the difference between baking and roasting?
Baking and roasting can be confusing, especially if you are new to being in the kitchen. Essentially, they are somewhat the same; however, just a tad different.
Roasting refers to cooking something, usually in an open dish, at a temperature higher than 400 degrees F.
Do you peel the skin before roasting?
Yes or No.
Honestly whether or not you peel is completely up to you.
If you are making butternut squash to puree, then there is no need to peel the skin first because the flesh just gets pulled away from the skin.
However, if you want to make cubed roasted butternut squash, then it is best to peel before you roast it in the oven.
Can I make oven roasted butternut squash Top 8 Allergen Free?
There are no Top Allergens when you make oven roasted butternut squash.
How long is oven roasted butternut squash good for?
Once your butternut squash is roasted, you can let cool and then choose an option:
- store in the fridge for 3-4 days in an air tight container
- store in the freezer for up to 3 months
Can oven roasted butternut squash be frozen?
Yes. No matter if you cube or puree, you can freeze butternut squash. You can freeze in an air tight freezer bag or container. We typically like to freeze in freezer safe bags in 2 cup portions.
Use within 3 months.
Can I make roasted butternut squash without oil?
Yes. You can make roasted butternut squash without oil. Just omit where it calls for it.
Can I make more than one butternut squash at a time?
Yes! You can repeat the process for however many butternut squashes you can easily get on a baking sheet at a time.
Zero waste tips:
For the skins and strings, you can throw those into your compost or if you don’t have a compost, you can always just put under a little bit of dirt around any flowers you may have, the nutrients will help.
For the seeds, try making our roasted pumpkin seeds but with the butternut squash seeds.
What other oven roasted vegetables can I make?
There are so many other vegetables that you can roast like:
- and more!
See how to roast a variety of different vegetables here!
Pin this how to roast butternut squash post for later:
How to Roast Butternut Squash
- 1 butternut squash (~2-6lbs)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Remove ¼ inch off the top.
- Cut in half lengthwise all the way around the squash. *If cubing, remove the skin with a peeler or pairing knife carefully first.
- Remove the seeds and strings.
- Place on a baking sheet. No need to use oil.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until a fork easily pierces through.
- Remove and let cool to touch.
- Use a fork to pull the flesh away from the skin.
- Add to a high powdered blender and blender. May need a splash of water to get started.
For Roasted Cubed Butternut Squash
- Cut into 1 inch slices, then into 1 inch cubes.
- Drizzle with oil and any optional spices. Toss to combine. *For a sweet side dish – instead of oil do 2 tablespoon maple syrup, 2 tablespoon brown sugar and 1 teaspoon cinnamon.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until easily pierced with a fork.
- Use immediately or place in an air tight container for 3-4 days.
Let’s see your creations!
Share to Instagram and tag us @makeitdairyfree so we can see and share it!
Leave a Reply