If you want a new meal prep recipe, then this Herb Spiced Roasted Root Vegetables with Spiced Chickpeas and Lemon Rice is just what you need!
This Herb Spiced Roasted Root Vegetables with Spiced Chickpeas and Lemon Rice recipe is perfect whether you want an anti-inflammatory recipe, a meal prep recipe, or just a delicious recipe!
Maybe you even want all three!
While it does take a little bit of time to put together, you are going to be thrilled with the flavor outcome at the end!
Never miss another post! Sign up for our weekly newsletter and get them all delivered easily! Plus, 15 easy recipes delivered immediately!
Sign Up For My Newsletter Today!
- Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- 🥘Recipe Ingredients
- Substitutions and Variations:
- Step by Step Instructions for Herb Spiced Roasted Root Vegetables with Spiced Chickpeas and Lemon Rice:
- Recipe FAQs:
- Other Vegetable Forward Recipes to Consider:
- Herb Spiced Roasted Root Vegetables with Spiced Chickpeas and Lemon Rice
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Flavorful – By using the ingredients in their natural form, we’re able to give a huge boost of flavorful to start your day
- Feeling After Eating– when you eat this meal, your body feels amazing. Not full or bloated, but satisfied and thankful
- Versatile – You can easily switch up the herbs or spice, even the vegetables that are being used to create a huge amount of versatility in one recipe
Gather your ingredients!
- Brown Rice – we use a brown basmati rice for our personal preference
- Root Vegetables – we are using a combination of sweet potatoes, beets, and parsnips for our root vegetables
- Fresh Herbs – we use a combo of fresh thyme, rosemary, sage, and oregano for this recipe
- Black Mustard Seed – these are more pungent and spicer than the normal yellow mustard seeds.
- Spices – we use a combo of spices like turmeric, curry, garam masala and more to give an Indian flavor profile to this recipe
See my recipe card below for a complete list of the ingredients with measurements.
Substitutions and Variations:
- Brown Rice – you can use other rices based on your preferences or even do another grain like quinoa or even noodles for this recipe
- Root Vegetables – feel free to switch up vegetables based on what you have. Just be mindful of cooking times for denser vegetables like sweet potatoes and a short cook time for something like asparagus
- Fresh Herbs – feel free to swap or change based on what you have. Basil and mint would be other good additions to this recipe
- Black Mustard Seed – you could also use yellow mustard seed but the flavor will alter
Step by Step Instructions for Herb Spiced Roasted Root Vegetables with Spiced Chickpeas and Lemon Rice:
Step 1. Add root vegetables, onions and herbs to a bowl.
Step 2. Add apple cider vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper. Stir together.
Step 3. Lay out veggies on a parchment lined baked sheet into a single layer. Don’t overcrowd and use two pans if necessary.
Step 4. Cook until fork tender.
Step 5. While veggies are roasting, cook rice in vegetable stock. When finished add spices, lemon juice and lemon zest and stir together.
Step 6. While all that is cooking, cook chickpeas and spices until golden brown and crispy.
This recipe is written as a Top 9 free recipe. As always double check your ingredients on your own packaging.
Yes, this recipe is made as a meal prep recipe. Once everything has cooled, you can store it in air tighter containers in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Yes. You will want to ensure that your root vegetables are evenly spread out and may need to use multiple trays. Make sure that your pot for rice is large enough.
We do not recommend freezing this recipe.
Other Vegetable Forward Recipes to Consider:
Did you make and love this recipe?
Click the 5 stars in the recipe card above or below in the comment section! This is a great way to support us so we can continue to bring great recipes!
Herb Spiced Roasted Root Vegetables with Spiced Chickpeas and Lemon Rice
For the root vegetables
For the rice
For the spiced chickpeas
For basic tahini sauce, OPTIONAL
- ½ cup tahini
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- 6 tablespoon cold water, more if needed
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. To a large bowl, add all your vegetables and herbs. Pour apple cider vinegar, over and toss. Add oil, ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper and toss again. Spread evenly onto a parchment lined baking sheet. Bake for 30-40 minutes or until fork tender (time dependent on cubed size).
- For the rice -While that’s baking, bring 2 cups or stock (or water) to a boil and add rinsed rice. Cook according to package instructions.
- In a small pot, add oil over medium heat. Add in mustard seed and let cook for 1 minute. Add remaining seasonings and stir. Add garlic and ginger and stir again. Remove from heat and add another ½ lemon juice plus zest of 1 whole lemon. Once rice is cooked, fluff rice with a fork and add this mixture. Stir to combine well.
- For the chickpeas – In a separate large skillet, add oil over medium heat. Add in chickpeas. Stir to coat and let cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring often, until a nice golden brown color starts to develop. Add seasonings and ½ lemon juice and stir to coat evenly. Let cook for 2 minutes. Remove from heat.