Vegan Lentil Sloppy Joes are the perfect plant based vegan dinner for someone who wants a childhood classic or is transitioning to a more plant based diet. Easy to make and Top 8 Allergen Free.
These vegan lentil sloppy joes are absolutely delicious and so easy to make.
Once your lentils are made the entire dish is ready in less than 10 minutes after that. You could even used canned lentils to make this dish in just about 10 minutes total.
Lentils are a great meat replacement because they are filling and take on somewhat of a similar texture in that they are hearty.
They do well in a dish like this vegetarian sloppy joe mixture since they hold onto the sauce and thicken up well.
Definitely a great meal if you are looking to meal plan or even have frozen meals ready too.
Never miss another post! Sign up for our weekly newsletter and get them all delivered easily! Plus, 15 easy recipes delivered immediately!
Sign Up For My Newsletter Today!
What ingredients do I need to make vegan lentil sloppy joes?
There really aren’t a lot of ingredients that go into the dish. Most are spices and seasonings components.
Full amounts listed in the printable recipe card below.
The ingredients that you need are:
- sweet onions
- red pepper (or other color bell pepper)
- canned diced tomatoes
- liquid smoke
- soy sauce (can sub coconut aminos or noy soy soy sauce)
- cooked lentils
- garlic powder
- chili powder
- smoked paprika
- yellow mustard
- brown sugar
- Optional: Sriracha or red pepper flakes to make spicy
Can I use canned lentils?
Yes. We used dried; however, you can use canned. Make sure you drain and rinse them first, then proceed with the recipe.
How do you make vegan lentil sloppy joes?
The first step is cooking your lentils. We do this according to the package instructions except cook them in vegetable stock instead of water.
While lentils are cooking, chop your onions, garlic, and peppers.
About 5 minutes before your lentils will be done, add a small amount of oil to a skillet (you could also do vegetable stock), and saute your onions and peppers until translucent (about 2-3 minutes). Add in the garlic for 1 more minute. Sprinkle your seasonings across and stir to combine.
Add in the cooked lentils and stir very well.
Pour in your canned tomatoes, soy sauce (or substitute) and liquid smoke. Stir well.
Stir together well but carefully.
Add in the ketchup, mustard, and brown sugar.
Stir and cook until the dish is heated throughout.
Take off the stove and serve.
Can this be Top 8 Allergen Free vegan sloppy joes?
This recipe as written is already Top 8 allergen free. You do not need to make changes it.
Can I prep this vegan dinner ahead?
Yes! Once made and cooled, this walnut vegan sloppy joes recipe can be stored in an air tight container for up to 5 ays.
What are other vegan dinner ideas I should try?
Once you try our vegan pizza dough without yeast, you may be wondering what other delicious vegan meal ideas you should try. We’ve rounded up a few that we love ourselves and think you will too!
- No Yeast Vegan Pizza Dough
- Vegan Pizza Casserole
- The Best Vegan Black Bean Burger
- Cashew, Chickpea, and Broccoli with Garlic Sauce Skillet
- Best Vegan Chickpea Burgers
- Vegan Cauliflower Coconut Curry
- The Best Vegan Lasagna
- Vegan Walnut Taco Meat
Pin these vegan lentil sloppy joes for later:
Vegan Lentil Sloppy Joes
- 3 cups cooked lentils (1 cup dried cooked will give you 3 cups cooked)
- 1 sweet onions, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red bell pepper (other colors work too)
- 1 tablespoon avocado (or olive) oil (can sub vegetable stock if oil free)
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 15oz can diced tomatoes (drained)
- 2 tablespoon soy sauce (can use coconut aminos or no soy soy sauce)
- 2 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1 ½ cups ketchup
- ¼ cup brown sugar (can sub coconut sugar)
- 4 teaspoon yellow mustard
- 1-2 tablespoon sriracha, optional only if you want it spicy
- 8 hamburger buns
- Cook lentils if using dried. *We do this according to the package instructions except cook them in vegetable stock instead of water. *Or used equal amount of canned lentils, drained and rinsed.
- While lentils are cooking, chop onions, garlic, and peppers.
- About 5 minutes before lentils will be done, add a small amount of oil to a skillet and saute your onions and peppers until translucent (about 2-3 minutes).
- Add in the garlic for 1 more minute. Sprinkle seasonings across and stir to combine.
- Add in the cooked lentils and stir very well.
- Pour in canned tomatoes, soy sauce and liquid smoke. Stir together well but carefully.
- Add in the ketchup, mustard, and brown sugar. If wanting it spicy, add the sriracha.
- Stir and cook until the dish is heated throughout.
- Take off the stove and serve on buns