These crispy vegan lemon pepper cauliflower wings are cooked to utter perfection. Can be air fried, fried in oil or baked. Paired with a lemon pepper glaze.
When people think of wings, it’s usually buffalo or bbq flavors – mild and spicy varieties; however, these vegan lemon pepper cauliflower wings should be next up on your list. They are the perfect combination of tart and spice that will excite your taste buds.
We promise you are absolutely going to love these!
We wanted to make this recipe super easy! There is one wet batter and one dry batter, no double dipping, and these are really easy to make. We also will give you all the details you need on air frying, baking or frying in oil so no matter which you prefer you can do!
Never miss another post! Sign up for our weekly newsletter and get them all delivered easily! Plus, 15 easy recipes delivered immediately!
CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP!
CRISPY VEGAN LEMON PEPPER CAULIFLOWER WINGS INGREDIENTS:
Below are notes about the ingredients before we get into the full recipe located lower in this post on how to make these vegan cauliflower wings:
- Cauliflower – The star of this dish is cauliflower. It’s inexpensive, easily accessible, and easy to use. When used with this cooking method, you’ll be shocked at how good it is.
- Lemon Pepper Seasoning – Enhancing the lemon pepper flavor with a spice blend directly inside the mix kicks up the taste of these vegan wings even more.
- Flour – We use all purpose flour as part of the breading method to add a nice coating and give the perfect texture
- Corn Flour – A must for the golden texture and the absolute crunchiness vegan cauliflower wings you’ve had
- Bread Crumbs – We prefer panko bread crumbs for this recipe to give even more of a crunch
- Lemon Pepper Glaze – Trust us that you need to make this lemon pepper glaze listed below. You will absolutely love not only how easy it is but also have flavorful it is. You’ll want to dip more than just these crispy vegan wings inside.
SUBSTITUTIONS AND VARIATIONS:
- “Meat” Base – While we love cauliflower and thing you will too, you can definitely play around with the base of this recipe with the batter. Try oyster mushrooms, tofu, seitan, jackfruit, and more.
- Seasoning – For different flavors you could use an all-purpose seasoning, something like Mrs Dash or 21 seasoning salute from Trader Joe’s. Feel free to use your favorite homemade blend or store blend to switch things up
- Flour – You can use whole wheat flour for this recipe, in addition to gluten free 1:1 blend like King Arthur or Bob’s Red Mill
- Corn Flour – You can replace this with all flour but the texture will be different. It will still be good though.
- Bread Crumbs – Most breadcrumbs contain dairy so are not vegan, but if you do have regular breadcrumbs you can use those. Alternatively you could switch it up and try crushed chips, cornflakes, and more.
- Sauce – Use any store bought or homemade sauce you like! Buffalo, ranch, teriyaki, etc.
- Oil – If frying, you want to use a high heat oil that is neutral in flavor – like vegetable, canola, corn, peanut, soybean or avocado oil.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
This dish is best served fresh. But good news is that you can heat that back up! We recommend doing so in an air fryer for 5-10 minutes. We recommend not adding any sauce if possible for the ones that you aren’t going to eat. Consume within 3-5 days.
Yes! You can freeze vegan bbq cauliflower wings for up to 3 months at a time. Store in an air tight freezer bag or container.
Yes! If making half a batch, then you can halve the batter ingredients. Similarly if you are doubling the recipe, you will add twice as much of every ingredient.
Yes. You’ll want to use both Gluten Free 1:1 flour and breadcrumbs. Additionally, you’ll want to use a soy free vegan butter in the lemon pepper glaze. Our favorites are Flora or Earth Balance soy free (red tub/sticks).
Why do you have to boil the cauliflower first?
Often time when people make cauliflower wings, the inside is still a bit firm. To get the best, closest to meat texture, we boil the cauliflower to get it a bit softer first. The end result is the perfect texture both inside and out.
Can I fry this in oil?
Yes! We suggest not overcrowding your skillet as the number one rule.
Heat 1-2 inches of oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat (About 350 degrees F). Fry the cauliflower in batches for 4-5 minutes or until golden and crisp on all sides. Remove and drain on a wire rack with paper towels underneath.
WHAT DO I EAT WITH VEGAN BBQ CAULIFLOWER WINGS?
This can be an appetizer or the main component of your dinner.
If you are looking for a healthier alternative for a side, try rice or quinoa. You could also serve with just a side of steamed vegetables or salad, noodles, or lo mein.
What other vegan cauliflower recipes would I like?
Cauliflower is an excellent vegetable for a variety of dishes! Here’s a few we think you would like:
- Easy Vegan Whole Roasted Cauliflower
- Vegan Cauliflower Tinga Tacos (photo above)
- Vegan Cauliflower Coconut Curry
- Buffalo Cauliflower Wings
- Vegan Kung Pao Cauliflower
- Vegan Orange Cauliflower
Pin these vegan lemon pepper cauliflower wings for later!
Vegan Lemon Pepper Cauliflower Wings
- 1 medium head of cauliflower, cut into florets (about 2.5lbs)
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour (use GF 1:1 blend if needed)
- 3/4 cup corn flour
- 2 tbsp lemon pepper seasoning
- 2 – 2 1/4 cups water
- 3 cups vegan panko breadcrumbs
Vegan Lemon Pepper Glaze
- fresh or dried parsley, for garnish
- 1 quart vegetable oil, if frying
- If baking, preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper or foil, set aside.
- Rinse cauliflower and dry very well. Cut into florets.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil, and boil florets for 3 minutes. Drain immediately.
- In a bowl, add flour, corn flour, and lemon pepper seasoning ingredients. Whisk together. Slowly add in 1 cup of water, whisking while pouring. You want a thick pancake like batter. If you have more of a dough, add a little more water at a time up to an additional 1/2 cup until consistency reached.
- In another bowl add the breadcrumbs.
- Add a cauliflower floret to the wet mixture and move around to coat everything evenly. Let excess batter run off. Next, dip and cover the cauliflower in breadcrumbs.
- Lay on baking tray. Repeat with remaining pieces. When finished bake for 20-25 minutes of until golden brown.
- Alternative cooking: Air Frying: After coating, air fryer in batches for 7-12 minutes at 425 degrees F or until crispy on all sides. To Fry: Heat 1-2 inches of oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat (About 350 degrees F). Fry the cauliflower in batches for 4-5 minutes or until golden and crisp on all sides. Remove and drain on a wire rack with paper towels underneath.
For the Lemon Pepper Glaze
- While cauliflower bakes, add all the glaze ingredients together in a bowl and whisk until smooth.
- When cauliflower is done, brush sauce onto crispy cauliflower or use as a dip. *We don't recommend tossing in the sauce as it gets too soggy.
- Garnish with parsley or green onions.
Let’s see your creations!
Share to Instagram and tag us @makeitdairyfree so we can see and share it!