Vegan Swedish Meatballs
If you've ever been to Ikea, then you've likely had Swedish meatballs. However, these vegan Swedish meatballs are even more amazing than the restaurant version.
Servings 12 meatballs
- 1 tbsp ground flax seed
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 lb vegan ground meat (not crumbles)
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley, finely chopped (sub 1 tsp dried parsley)
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp ground allspice
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp black pepper, more to taste
- 1 tsp salt, more to taste
- 6 tbsp vegan butter, divided
- 3 tbsp all-purpose flour (sub for GF 1:1 blend if needed)
- 2 cups mushroom broth (can sub vegetable stock)
- 1 cup coconut cream (can sub dairy free milk)
- 1 tbsp vegan steak sauce (can sub vegan worcestershire sauce)
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- fresh parsley, for topping
- 1 lb cooked pasta, optional
In a small bowl, add flax and water and stir together. Let sit for 5 minutes. (this makes a flax egg)
In a large bowl, add all the ingredients from vegan meat to salt. Add in the flax egg. Mix until very well combined. Roll into 12-15 evenly sized meatballs.
If making pasta, start your boiling water now and cook according to package instructions.
Over medium heat, add 2 tbsp vegan butter into a large skillet and let melt. Add the rolled vegan meatballs and let cook for 5-8 minutes rolling around to brown all sides. Remove to a plate.
In the same skillet, add remaining vegan butter and let melt. Sprinkle flour over and whisk constantly until well combined.
Slowly whisk in broth. Add coconut cream (or non-dairy milk), vegan steak sauce and dijon. Bring to a simmer for 3-5 minutes until it thickens. Taste and adjust salt and pepper if needed.
Place meatballs into the sauce and cook until heated through about 2-3 minutes. Serve.
Serving: 1meatball | Calories: 160kcal | Carbohydrates: 9g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 3g | Monounsaturated Fat: 2g | Trans Fat: 1g | Sodium: 604mg | Potassium: 142mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 383IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 13mg | Iron: 3mg