YOU DON’T HAVE TO BE VEGAN TO ENJOY THESE CLASSIC VEGAN CHICKPEA BURGERS. SIMPLE INGREDIENTS, REALLY EASY TO MAKE, AND AN INCREDIBLY DELICIOUS UNDER 30 MINUTE VEGAN DINNER IDEA!
Everyone needs an arsenal of super quick dinner ideas. I’m talking under 30 minutes from start to finish. Whether you are single and have a busy life or have a family that is constantly on the go, everyone can benefit from quick dinner ideas. These classic vegan chickpea burgers, are one of those recipes.
This veggie burger recipe contains a handful of ingredients that all come together for a really classic burger taste. By using a combination of things like vegan Worcestershire sauce, homemade BBQ sauce, and spices, it will be the best vegan chickpea burger that you’ve tasted.
Our favorite part is that it’s almost completely made inside the food processor, so clean up is an absolute breeze.
GET OUR TOP 15 RECIPES DELIVERED TO YOUR INBOX! SIGN UP FOR OUR WEEKLY NEWSLETTER TODAY HERE!
WHAT INGREDIENTS DO YOU NEED TO MAKE THESE VEGAN CHICKPEA BURGERS?
We do try to keep our recipes to minimum amount of ingredients, but we also want to ensure that we give the best possible flavor impact whenever we can. When we create recipes, we really want you to be blown away and not think that just because you have food allergies or preferences that you have to sacrifice flavor and taste. This vegan chickpea burger recipe contains 15 total ingredients. The ingredients that you will need for this recipe are:
- flax seeds
- red onion
- green pepper
- chili powder
- garlic powder
- smoked paprika
- panko bread crumbs (use GF if needed)
- sriracha sauce
- homemade bbq sauce (or favorite vegan bottled sauce with a sweet flavor)
- vegan Worcestershire sauce
- olive oil
HOW DO YOU MAKE VEGAN CHICKPEA BURGERS?
Our absolute favorite thing about this vegan chickpea burger recipe is that you need just a small bowl, food processor and a skillet to make everything come together. Easy clean-up makes us so happy.
In order to make these vegan chickpea burgers, we start by adding the flax seed and water into a small bowl and let it sit for 10 minutes. Then, add all the other ingredients, except the olive oil, into the food processor. Blend until well combined. The onions and peppers should be in small pieces. Let the mixture sit for 5 minutes. Then form into 4 equal sized patties.
Add the olive oil to a skillet and heat over medium low heat. Add the patties and let cook for 2-3 minutes. Carefully flip and cook for another 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat and let sit for 5 minutes. Add to a bun with your favorite toppings and more BBQ sauce or other condiments.
In the photos, we topped the vegan chickpea with vegan mayo, lettuce, tomatoes, smashed avocado, and alfafa sprouts.
HOW DO YOU MAKE VEGAN CHICKPEA BURGERS STICK TOGETHER?
One complaint we always hear is that people try to make vegan chickpea burgers at home and they don’t stick together. Whether when forming or when flipping or trying to remove from the skillet, they have issues. We worked hard on this recipe to ensure that our vegan chickpea burgers would hold together as well as they could without weird additives.
Typically burgers bind together using eggs, but since these are vegan chickpea burgers, we can’t use those. We have found though that panko bread crumbs do the trick.
The key is to let the panko bread crumbs rest in the mixture before cooking it. This allows the bread crumbs to soak up the moisture in the recipe and really bind things together. The other thing is to let them sit for a few minutes after removing them from the stove. Combined with these two things, you should have perfect chickpea burgers that hold together.
WHERE CAN YOU BUY VEGAN WORCESTERSHIRE SAUCE?
We have started to finally find vegan Worcestershire in our local stores, but before that we found on Amazon or Thrive Market. We used the Annie’s brand for this particular recipe.
If you are not vegan and only dairy free, you can use a regular Worcestershire sauce.
CAN I MAKE THESE TOP 8 ALLERGY FRIENDLY VEGAN CHICKPEA BURGERS?
As the recipe is written for these vegan chickpea burgers, there is soy and wheat in the recipe. The ingredients that contain these are the panko bread crumbs (wheat) and the vegan Worcestershire sauce (soy and wheat).
As far as the soy, I haven’t yet found a vegan version that you can buy that doesn’t contain soy; however, you could make your own homemade worcestershire sauce, like this one, and replace the soy sauce with a no soy soy free sauce.
It does take work, but it is possible to make these Top 8 Allergy friendly and not sacrifice the flavor that anyone else is able to achieve!
WHAT ARE OTHER VEGAN BURGER RECIPES THAT I SHOULD TRY?
Once you try our amazing vegan burger, you may be wondering what other delicious vegan burger ideas you should try. We’ve rounded up a few that we would like to try ourselves. We thought they looked so good!
- The Best Vegan Black Bean Burger
- Chickpea Falafel Burger
- Beet Burgers
- Mexican Burger with Adobo Sauce
- Bean Burger with Mustard Mayo
WHAT FOOD PROCESSOR DO YOU USE to make the vegan burgers?
For this recipe, we use a Ninja Professional Kitchen 1500 watts food processor and blender system. The food processor is a separate attachment. Any quality food processor should be able to handle making these burgers. If you are questionable about your particular brand, we recommended chopping up the onions and green peppers before putting in your food processor.
CAN I MAKE THESE VEGAN CHICKPEA BURGERS WITHOUT A FOOD PROCESSOR?
We know that not everyone has a food processor. While it is personally one of our favorite appliances, we get it. If you do not have one and would still like to make this vegan chickpea burger recipe, it is still possible.
In order to do that, it will take a bit more time, but not impossible. You will want to chop your onions, peppers, and garlic as fine as you can. The other step you will need to do is mashed the chickpea burgers with a fork as well as possible. Then, combine the ingredients and proceed with the recipe as written.
PIN THESE VEGAN CHICKPEA BURGERS FOR LATER:
Vegan Chickpea Burgers
- 2 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seed
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- ¾ cup panko bread crumbs (sub GF if needed)
- ½ green pepper, cut into 4-6 pieces
- ½ red onion, cut into wedges
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon homemade BBQ sauce
- ½ tablespoon vegan worcestshire sauce (*see notes in post for allergies)
- ½ tablespoon cumin
- ½ tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon sriracha sauce
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ⅛ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Bun or Lettuce Wrap
- lettuce, tomato, onion, pickles, smashed avocado
- vegan cheese
- sauce: more BBQ, ketchup, mustard, vegan mayo, etc
- Add flax seed and water into a small bowl and let it sit for 10 minutes. *This makes a flax egg.
- While waiting for that to come together, add all the other ingredients, except the olive oil, into the food processor.
- Once the flax egg is ready, add that to the processor as well.
- Blend until well combined. The onions and peppers should be in small pieces. Let the mixture sit for 5 minutes.
- Form into 4 equal sized patties.
- Add the olive oil to a skillet and heat over medium low heat.
- Add the patties and let cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Carefully flip and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Add to a bun with your favorite toppings and more BBQ sauce or other condiments.
- *In the photos, we topped the vegan chickpea burgers with vegan mayo, lettuce, tomatoes, smashed avocado, and alfafa sprouts.
Let’s see your creations!
Share to Instagram and tag us @makeitdairyfree so we can see and share it!