This delicious vegan breakfast skillet recipe is the perfect option for a filling and delicious skillet potatoes recipe. Whether you are going to a brunch or wanting a quick breakfast skillet at your house, this will be a hit!
One of the best things about this vegan breakfast skillet recipe is that it’s all made in just one pan.
This one can even be made a day ahead of time so you have plenty of time to do all the other tasks that you need to get done with breakfast ready and out of the way.
Whether you are looking for a skillet potatoes recipe for the holidays or just a weekend breakfast option, this is the perfect solution for you.
This particular breakfast skillet recipe is vegan sausage, peppers, onions, and potatoes skillet recipe. It uses mostly plant based ingredients and because of that is:
- dairy free
- egg free (see note options)
- gluten free
There are also a ton of tips below that can help you make this in a way that can really help your specific dietary needs.
This vegan breakfast skillet is completely customizable.
Never miss another post! Sign up for our weekly newsletter and get them all delivered easily! Plus, 15 easy recipes delivered immediately!
Sign Up For My Newsletter Today!
What ingredients do I need to make this breakfast skillet recipe?
One of the great things about making a vegan breakfast skillet is that the possibilities are endless.
This particular breakfast skillet can be made to suit a variety of dietary lifestyles, but simple swaps can also be made if you don’t have that particular needs. For this skillet potatoes recipe, you need:
- Potatoes (I like yukon gold or russet, but red could also work)
- Vegan breakfast sausage
- Green, Red, Yellow, and Orange peppers
- we love the color that a variety gives the dish, but there’s no reason you can’t use just one or two colors also
- Maple Syrup
- Garlic Powder
- Italian Seasoning
- Salt and Pepper
- Optional: Cheese
- We don’t show it in the picture because we think it tastes great with or without, but feel free to top with your favorite vegan cheese
- Optional: Eggs
- This can be made with tofu scramble, Just Egg or other vegan egg product
Tips for Making a Vegan Breakfast Skillet Recipe Perfectly
One skillet meals are some of the best for easy clean up purposes, but this skillet potatoes recipe is absolutely amazing and simple.
Still, there are some steps that you really need to follow in order to perfect it.
For starters, you need to try to get all the potatoes to be an equal size of each other (roughly). Peppers and onions also benefit from this.
The reason you want all the potatoes to be the same size is because it will ensure even cooking throughout your dish. Otherwise, you are going to have some potatoes overcooked (mushy or burnt) and some undone (crunchy). You want the perfect balance and do that that you need equal sizes.
After you have your potatoes chopped, you are going to soak them in water.
Soaking potatoes releases some of the starch and helps the potatoes not to stick in this sausage and potatoes skillet meal.
Soak for 30 minutes then fully pat dry off with a towel.
How do you make a Vegan Breakfast Sausage and Potatoes Skillet?
Melt coconut oil in a skillet and add the potatoes in a single layer.
Depending on the size of your skillet you may need to do this in batches.
No matter what, DO NOT overcrowd the potatoes or they will stick. Your heat should be on medium high. The goal is to quickly cook the edges at a high heat to prevent sticking.
Cook for 2 minutes without touching, then flip and cook other side for 2 minutes. Then, cook for another 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Reduce heat. Add in your peppers and onions.
If you are adding vegan sausage, do it at this point. Break off small pieces and add it in. Cook for 4 minutes.
Add in all your seasonings (salt, pepper, Italian seasoning and garlic powder) and stir to combine.
If you are adding Just Egg or similar vegan egg product, do it here. Move mixture to one side and scramble, then combine two sides together.
Finally add in the spinach and mushrooms and cook for a bit longer. Drizzle maple syrup and cook until spinach has wilted. Top with vegan cheese if desired.
This vegan breakfast sausage and potatoes skillet is completely customizable.
Don’t like mushrooms? Don’t add them.
The same goes for any the vegan sausage, vegan eggs, vegan cheese and spinach. We recommend leaving all other ingredients; however, these 5 ingredients can be optional.
*If you want sausage patties instead of crumbled, you can remove the skillet potatoes recipe from the skillet and place on a serving dish. Add the sausage patties to the skillet and cook according to directions.
Serve with a side of sliced or mashed avocado. Top with cilantro or a side of salsa if desired. Or even just top with ketchup!
Can this vegan breakfast skillet be prepped ahead?
Yes! You can fully make these and then heat up the next day. It definitely tastes better right out of the skillet as soon as it’s made, but great heated up too!
Can this be Top 8 Allergen Free?
This recipe is pretty allergen friendly as written. Depending on your allergens, you may need to swap the vegan egg product for one that is safe for you (such as a chickpea flour scramble).
Swap the coconut oil for any neutral flavored oil or soy free vegan butter.
Lastly, we’ve not see a vegan sausage that is gluten free, so if you have allergies to gluten, we’d recommend skipping that.
What other vegan breakfast ideas could I make?
Once you try this delicious vegan breakfast skillet, you may be looking for other amazing vegan breakfast ideas that you should try. We are sharing both sweet and savory dairy free breakfast ideas.
- Vegan Banana Pancakes
- Vegan Sausage Biscuits and Gravy
- Super Soft Vegan Blueberry Muffins
- Glazed Vegan Donuts
- Vegan Chocolate Donuts
- Perfect Vegan Cinnamon Rolls
- Vegan Bacon, Egg & Cheese Biscuits
- Dairy Free French Toast
- Dairy Free Banana Bread
Pin this vegan breakfast skillet for later:
Vegan Breakfast Skillet
For Vegan Egg Scramble (Can sub for Just Egg or Another Vegan Egg Product)
- Cut potatoes to be an equal size of each other. Soak in water for 30 minutes.*
- While soaking, cut up the peppers and onions. You can leave large or dice, but try to ensure they are the same same roughly.
- Dice the mushrooms if adding.
- Once the potatoes have soaked for 30 minutes, drain throughly. Pat dry with a towel.
- Over medium high heat, melt coconut oil in a large skillet.
- Add the potatoes in a single layer. Depending on the size of skillet this may need done in batches. DO NOT overcrowd the potatoes or they will stick.
- Cook for 2 minutes – DO NOT TOUCH FOR 2 MINUTES! Flip, cook another 2 minutes. Stir again, cook 2 more minutes. (Do this a total of 10 minutes)
- Reduce heat to medium low. Add in peppers and onions. Stir together.
- If adding sausage and want it crumbled, add it in at this point by breaking off small pieces and adding it in. Cook 4 minutes.
- Add in all your seasonings (salt, pepper, Italian seasoning and garlic powder) and stir to combine
- If you are adding egg product, do it here. Slide the mixture to one side of your skillet, add the crumbled tofu to the empty side along with your turmeric, kala namak and pepper on top of the tofu.
- Scramble together until all the tofu is yellow in color. Let cook for 1 more minute.
- Combine both sides together.
- Add in the spinach and mushrooms and cook for 2 minutes.
- Drizzle maple syrup and cook until spinach has wilted.
- Top with vegan cheese if desired.
- *If you want sausage patties instead of crumbled, you can remove the skillet potatoes recipe from the skillet and place on a serving dish. Add the sausage patties to the skillet and cook according to directions.
- Serve with a side of sliced or mashed avocado. Top with cilantro or a side of salsa if desired. Or ketchup.
Pin this Dairy Free Breakfast Skillet:
This post was originally published on 12/21/18 and updated on 11/20/19. Updated again on 6/11/2020 to include video.